Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shopping for a Used Jeep

Casteel
02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I’ve got the itch to buy a used jeep. So far, I’m leaning toward a Wrangler. I’ve never owned one, nor do I have much knowledge of them. So, I’d like to hear some opinions about things I should look for while shopping.
I’ll be using the jeep as a daily commuter, so I like the idea of a 4 cyl for fuel economy. However, I would be on the interstate some and would like to know I could cruise around 75mph. I’d like to find something around 7k. I’ve found a few but they all have high miles, and not having owned a jeep before, I’m uncomfortable with the range I can expect. Please, any and all helpful opinions are appreciated! I plan to buy something within the next couple of weeks!

wrangler88yj
03-03-2005, 01:40 PM
i own an 88 wrangler 4cyl they are good vehicles i know mine has 130000 plus miles the 4cyl can go to 300000 or 400000 before they start to become unreliable as long as they are taken car of i mean oil changes gaskets, plugs, wires and all if u want a wrangler they are great if want a jeep i hqave a friend who is selling an 87 jeep chereoke he is looking at $2000 for it it has like i think 150000 miles on it and it has a 6cyl automatic it needs jus tires and some interior work the 6cyl is good on gas as well i m jus letting you kno i live in jersey and if u want to kno about this jeep give me a call and we can talk or post a reply my cell is 609-280-4675 ask for sarge

1976 cj7
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi I Have Owned About 4 Or 5 Jeeps. My First And Strongest Suggestion Is Go For The " Bullet-proof " Straight 6 Cyl Eng. It Seems That You Just Cant Kill Them. With The Straight Six, Dont Worry About The Miles. Anything Under 200k Still Has Alot Of Life Left In It. I Had An 87 Wrangler With 209k And Sold It With Absolutly No Problems. It Was Never Rebuilt And Still Ran Like A Champ. I Also Would Suggest Going For Something Without A Lift For Those Highway Drives. I Hope This Helps Good Luck

JustinC9905
03-09-2005, 02:48 PM
I have owned both a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder....and I would have to go with the 6. The 4 is ok for driving around a city but honestly when you are on the highway and you need the extra power, the 4 banger just doesnt have it in her. I had a 94 4 cylinder Wrangler which I sold earlier this year to buy my 04 6 cylinder. Although my 94 was a beast, I am glad that I got the bigger engine. You will regret not spending the extra $1000-2000 in the long run, especially if you want a daily highway driver. As for milage, I wouldnt even sweat it. If there are records on routine maintance and you are buying from someone who truly loves Jeeps, you will have no problems. I hope all fairs well.

Add your comment to this topic!