Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grinding when braking

Rookie Tech
02-25-2005, 01:58 PM
I own a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu and just a couple of months ago (probably in late December) when leaving my place of work, I start the car up like normal, with my foot on the brake I put it into Drive and cruise a little ways down the parking lot to stop before I turn. When I applied the brakes, I heard this awful grinding sound coming from the front end of the car. Of course my first thoughts were I just had these rotors and brake pads replaced back in April of 2004. Then I thought maybe that big snow and ice that we had in late December may have found its way into the rotor/brake pad area. Anyways, the grinding stopped after about a mile or 2 down the road but when I apply the brake in certain areas, the car doesn't come to a smooth stop like my '91 Corsica does. It's been stopping unsatisfactorally like this before the grinding started. I've noticed it happening more often when it rains, the weather is cold or it snows. I took it to the brake shop that put the pads and new rotors on and told them about the problem I was having. They looked it over and found nothing wrong. As a matter of fact, they told me the pads were wearing even on both sides and the rotor was showing normal wear. All they could tell me was to come back if it gets worse. Well, I don't want to wait until it gets WORSE. I've got a wife and a 3 year old daughter that rides in the car with me and I don't want it to get so bad that the car won't STOP. Anyways, a couple of days may have went by and the grinding starts again and I've only heard it BIG TIME when leaving the parking lot from my workplace after 8 1/2 hours. It seems to grind mostly when the car is sitting still for hours and when it's rainy or murky out. I don't really hear it as much when leaving for work in the morning. Any suggestions to what is going on here?

bcopeland
02-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Sounds like a sticking caliper. Read some of the threads located herein.

Rhcmlc
02-27-2005, 08:55 AM
I agree with bcopeland. It sounds like your caliper is stuck and won't release.

slpkntheretic555
02-27-2005, 07:29 PM
If I were you I would check the rotors cause every Malibu model from late 90's and up have rotor problems that are known.

Add your comment to this topic!