J30 has to be jumped off every day

bj31t
02-25-2005, 01:18 PM
My J30 will not stay charged, has to be jumped off everyday. I have replaced the battery. I do not think it is the alternator. I was told if I unhooked the battery while it was running and it stayed running that it was not a problem with the alternator. Is this true?? If so then does anyone have any suggestions what the problem is?

infinman
02-25-2005, 04:10 PM
You need to check the voltage at the battery when engine is running.Should be between 13.5 - 14.5 volts.If so alt. is ok.DONOT remove battery terminal while engine is running.This was ok to do on older {non-computerized} vehicles.Vehicles with airbags,abs and computer controlled systems should not be tested that way.You may have a parasitic draw{something draining your battery.}

Nahkapohjola
02-27-2005, 10:26 AM
... I was told if I unhooked the battery while it was running and it stayed running that it was not a problem with the alternator. Is this true?? If so then does anyone have any suggestions what the problem is?

What u were told is true. Do that if you like to burn your car electronics.

However, I do not recommend; that was ok with T-ford.

Take a multimeter, disconnect battery terminal, measure on amp scale how much current is flowing. If reading nears one amp, you have a real problem. Should be less than 0,5A.

If problem, put batt back, measure each fuse likewise to pinpoint the drain source. Correct problem...

bj31t
03-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I have tested the voltage of the battery ( 14.8V) and the
current (0.18 A). What step should I take now?

Nahkapohjola
03-22-2005, 03:48 AM
I have tested the voltage of the battery ( 14.8V) and the
current (0.18 A). What step should I take now?

If that current flows between battery terminal and disconnected cable connector, its ok. THAT will not drain batt.

What is the voltage att bat before u start? -should be min. 12.4V
What is the voltage att bat before DURING start? -should be over 8V

Possibilities:
- batt dead
- ground connections bad
- plus 12V connections bad
- connectors, solenoid, relays in general burned/oxidized.

Do connector maintenance:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/10
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14

Add your comment to this topic!