Where is the Mass Air Flow sensor?

muddyyj95
02-25-2005, 12:03 AM
I suspect the Mass Air Flow sensor's bad as it's got similar symptoms as described in some of the other messages. Where exactly is that located on the motor? The car is bogging something fierce, and the light blinks when it does that. What year sensors are interchangable? I've got to get Autozone to check that engine light code again...
Thanks

twospirits
02-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum,

The diagram showing the location of the the Mass Air Flow Sensor on the 2001 Accent is located here (http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394878327#_394878327) in Hyundai Webtech (http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp?).
Listed under the Fuel System/MFI Control System/Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor section.

TS out

8itgreat
07-20-2005, 05:25 AM
i found if you unplug the MAF and the car regains power again (still will idle a bit rough) than its the MAF...

I took my 2000 Accent to autozone to read the problem code and it came up P1128 and autozone told me it was an upstream O2 sensor (glad i didn't listen and replaced the MAF)

works fine now and no engine light...put a junk yard MAF in for now for $65 u.s

PhlatulentPhreddy
12-23-2005, 02:22 PM
I swapped out the O2 sensor before the cat when I had the P1128 code come up. Seemed to work for about 3,000 miles. Now engine light is on again. Car runs fine and fuel efficient. But the light is on again (3rd time in 2 months) - replace O2 sensor - light went out. Drove a few miles and light returned. Took to station (lean fuel mixture etc.) reset and now 2K later I got the engine light again. I guess my next deal is the MAF. Over 6 years the car has been fairly good as far as repairs go but I never beat on the car and have maintained it beyond severe maintenance requirements. With 84,000 miles on the car and 6 years old, I am having a lot of these intermittent problems which, though they may not be terribly expensive to fix, nonetheless, leave me without a car I can depend on. I have had this engine light deal no less than 6 times during my ownership. That is about 4-5 times to many for a car under 100,000 miles. I've had several cars that had well over 100,000 miles and never had this problem. I bought them used and they weren't exactly in pristine condition. The Hyundai I bought new and though I haven't had to replace the transmission or engine or anything major, I've had quite a few times when the car has needed to be serviced due to a misfire or this check engine deal. I know shit happens but honestly, a 100,000 mile warranty is good if you never need to use it. It has been my experience that even with pristine care, these cars are just not as durable as the Japanese models for slightly higher money. The 100,000 mile warranty is a catch - no more. I don't care if they replace the engine for free on my brand new car because essentially, I'm paying for damaged merchandise that I can't use one way or another. Though the car isn't a Ford Pinto, it isn't a VW Bug either. Somewhere in between and if you can live with a lot of minor problems that will leave you without a car, the Hyundai does have that warranty. Speaking of same, the one item they replaced under warranty was a shifter cable linkage (a piece of wire for the uninitiated). It took 4 days for them to perform this work and when I asked them to change the oil while they were at it, they charged me over $40 for same and this was a few years back when an average oil change and filter at any place was about $25 tops. Honestly, this car has had way too many problems - minor though they may be, I probably will not buy another Hyundai as a result and would (after 6 years of ownership) probably recommend a used Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, etc. You may get a little more bang for your buck from Hyundai but in the long run the money you'll be saving will be offset by the time the car is in the shop. Merry Christmas all. I got my present a little early this year. lol
:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!