Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CV shaft question

57ringo
02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
How much of a job is it to change a CV shaft on a 96 V6 accord?

jeffcoslacker
02-25-2005, 12:11 AM
That's kinda subjective, depending on your experience. You'll have to remove the caliper and the spindle nut, split the ball joint and tie rod end, tap the shaft outta the hub, and use a prybar to snap the shaft outta the tranny. When it goes back together you have to get it to snap back into the trans without letting the inner joint expand and fall apart (lots of them now have a mesh that hold them together until you're done, then cut it off.)

It will probably take you a couple of hours if you haven't done it before.

mpumas
02-25-2005, 02:05 AM
Splitting the ball joint and tie rod joint takes a special tool. Don't take short cuts and try to pound the joint apart. You will mushroom the threads and will never get the nut back on and probably won't succeed getting it to break loose.

jeffcoslacker
02-25-2005, 05:39 AM
Splitting the ball joint and tie rod joint takes a special tool. Don't take short cuts and try to pound the joint apart. You will mushroom the threads and will never get the nut back on and probably won't succeed getting it to break loose.

Good point, he might not know that if he hasn't done this kinda stuff before. A tie rod fork can be bought for about $10 from a discount tool supplier. Get a tie rod fork, don't bother getting a ball joint fork, they are usually made for larger components than what your car has, and will just straddle the ball joint without making enough contact to lever it apart. The tie rod fork will work fine on it, as long as the space between the forks is wider than the stud of the ball joint.

The most irritating scenario I've run across in doing this job is when the ball joint stud tries to turn with the nut when you are putting it back together. :sly: If that happens, just hammer the fork back in between, same as when you split it, and the tension will load the stud enough to keep it from spinning. It will spit the fork out as you tighten the nut. :iceslolan

Now you know something that I once had to beat my head against walls and curse for an hour before I figured it out. :grinyes:

57ringo
02-25-2005, 12:28 PM
I've changed them before but not on a Honda. I have set a jack under the tie rod with enough pressure to keep it from spinning too.

jeffcoslacker
02-25-2005, 06:42 PM
If you've done them before, the Honda will be a breeze.

ProMan
02-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Just my 2 cents.

If it's just the boot that's broken and leaking grease, and you don't hear the clanking noise when you make a turn, the CV joint will be still good. If it's still the original CV joint, it's worthy to just replace the boot. Since the genuine Honda parts have much much better quality than the reman ones. But, to replace the boot only is not an easy task. I replaced the boot one month after I found the boot is broken about 4 years ago. The CV joint is still good so far.

57ringo
02-25-2005, 11:07 PM
She lives about 100 miles away and I won't check it out till next weekend. I have the flu now.

kazper
02-25-2005, 11:55 PM
I did this Job on my 96 Honda Accord 2 weeks ago and it was my first try.

Took all day for me but I did a brake job and changed my rotors at the same time.
You will also need a 36mm Nut to remove the nut at the end of the joints

I think when the machine shop did the work on the rotors they messed up the wheel bearing on the Passanger side.

Thats why I am here tonight.

jeffcoslacker
02-26-2005, 08:11 AM
I hate AutoZone, but they are a good place to buy a socket like that, one that you probably won't ever use again. At least they're cheap.

ProMan
02-27-2005, 10:02 AM
I hate AutoZone, but they are a good place to buy a socket like that, one that you probably won't ever use again. At least they're cheap.

Do you know you don't have to buy it. AutoZone let you "borrow" a lot of special tools that you don't need to use frequently, including torque wrench, spindle nut socket, pulley puller, etc.

jeffcoslacker
02-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Do you know you don't have to buy it. AutoZone let you "borrow" a lot of special tools that you don't need to use frequently, including torque wrench, spindle nut socket, pulley puller, etc.

Yeah, I usually just go ahead and buy it, if it's something under $10 or so and I might use it again. I rent spring compressors from them sometimes. I really should just buy one, I've ended up needing one several times over the last few years. The last one I borrowed from them was brand new, box unopened, and the deposit was only $45 or something. I thought about keeping it :lol:

57ringo
03-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Got it changed and it was no problem. 1 7/16" impact socket is close to 36mm and works fine.

Add your comment to this topic!