Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Malibu Front ABS Disc Brakes

caelis
02-24-2005, 07:56 PM
I need to replace the front disc brakes on my 2001 Malibu. A friend told me today that I need to bleed the pressure on the ABS before I replace the pads. Do (and how) I need to do this on ABS, or do they replace like conventional front disc brake pads? Also, would you know the torque of the caliper bolts? Thanks

dolluper
02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
You really don't have to "BUT" there are advantages of doing so Like much easier to compress piston, gets rid of old fuild that could be contaminated by condensation [fuild attracks water], you don't have to worry about dropping caliper" as much" and stretching hose [then you would have to bleed if you didn't break the hose] So you can see it's sort of a good idea To Do It so crack the bleeder on the caliper [With 10mm? six point deep socket] the farest away from mastercylinder your case R/s [passenger] with top of master lossened off but still there Then compress piston on caliper /close bleeder/ check fuild level/ install pads /tighten cal attach bolts THEN repeat for other side Before you put wheels on make sure bleeders are tight both sides and you have master cover on tight then pump the brake pedal a couple times to seat pads and adjust piston hope this helps "DO TAKE CARE YOU HAVE NO AIR IN THE LINES"

Add your comment to this topic!