Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing Automatic Locks and Cruise Control on 99 Malibu

KristinBrandt
02-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi there, I bought a '99 malibu about a year ago and I just had my first son... since it doesnt have automatic locks or key holes in the back seats it is going to make getting him in and out of the car a real pain in the ass... I hate having to unlock the front first and reach around into the back seat with an infant.. I was looking at several keyless entry lock kits online, and my husband is a wiring genious so install shouldnt be a problem, but before I buy one:
1. has anyone else installed remote entry on their chevy malibu, if so, what difficulties were there if any?
2. Does the chevy malibu have any restrictions or safety features that would not allow me to install such a product?
heres the one i was most considering: http://www.slickcar.com/power-door-lock-kit.asp ... does that look like a compatible product?

I was also interested in knowing if it is possible to install Cruise control in a '99 malibu? we live in washington state and drive to Utah every once an awhile to visit family, and will be doing it more often now that we have our baby to take down. It would make the 1200 mile trip a ton more pleasant to have cruise control to say the least. So if you added it to your malibu- I just wanna know: Is it a hard install? Are there any safety/security things we would have to bypass... ect...

Thanks for your help in advance!

KristinBrandt
03-07-2005, 04:11 PM
just bumping this back up because nobody replied and im really really hoping someone can give me some advice on this...

BeatnikTermite
03-08-2005, 07:57 AM
I can't comment on the auto locks, but a co-worker of mine hade an aftermarket Cruise Control installed in his '99.

It was installed in his driveway by a back-yard mechanic type guy for (I think but don't quote me) $100. He had to add a new stick control arm in the stering column, a control unit, and the piece that connects to the throttle.

My co-worker says it is a nice addition, but that it is definately not as nice as a factory unit. I guess it is a bit jerky, and has a fairly large speed swing between the cruise and coast limits.

Add your comment to this topic!