1997 Grand Voyager transmission troubles

threespeed
02-23-2005, 10:29 PM
My wife's 97 Plymouth grand Voyager (172,000 miles) is acting up. After about 10 mins of driving, the transmission starts whining very loud. I pulled over and put the van in park and reved the engine and the whining was still there. I continued to drive home and I noticed the van shuddering a bit and the rpm's were jumping like the trans. was trying to slip slightly. I drove about 5 miles and stopped at a stop sign. When I took off, the transmission seemed to slip some more. When I slowed down to make a sharp curve the transmission down shifted and when I gave it some gas the transmission slipped even more but by that time I was home. Ok, what do you guys think? The fluid is full.

theFREAKnasty82
02-24-2005, 02:32 AM
What color is your fluid? Judging by your screenname, you have a 3-speed unit; the whining sound, if it's coming from the vicinity of the transmission, it your oil pump, check also your power steering fluid level, make sure it's not low b/c it'll make the same sound. If your wife's tranny is slipping that much, you could have bad seals around your front and rear clutch circuits.

threespeed
02-24-2005, 07:16 AM
My screen name has nothing to do with this van. I think it is a 4 speed but I'm not sure. Fluid color is dark and smells alittle burnt.

theFREAKnasty82
02-24-2005, 08:59 AM
If it's dark and burnt, get that changed immediately, and if you can get a complete flush. But if it's slipping that bad, sad to say, I've seen this more times than I have fingers and toes, it's going to require a rebuild. 172,000 miles out of this transmission is excellent, you've gotten your money's worth.

threespeed
02-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I think your right FREAK. How much do you think it will cost to rebuild?

threespeed
02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
How can I tell for sure what kind of transmission I have?

theFREAKnasty82
02-25-2005, 03:08 AM
around $1500-$2000. Easiest way to tell what kind of transmission you have is look at the shifter gate; It should go "PRND3L." That means you have the A-604 41TE transmission.

98 Grand Caravan
02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Hello I am newbie here, I have the same problem happen to my 98 Caravan last week. The whining noise occurs when you rev the engine even in park or neutral. I don't beelive it's a bad transmission or torque converter because the tranny has nto been engaged? Can someone help me here before the problem gets out of hand? Appreciate your help, thanks.

Alex

GTP Dad
02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Mine cost $1700 to rebuild at AAMCO. The problem is that the transmissions that Chrysler uses are a weak link in the drive train of these vans. If you got 172 K out of one consider yourself very lucky. Most of the time they only last 90 to 100K if that. If the fluid is burnt and smells bad you can change the fluid but you will need a rebuild shortly. I had a similar problem and changed the fluid. 4k later tranny failed and was rebuilt. Good Luck.

caravandrvr
02-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Couple of observations:

1. If the noise happens in park, I would assume the noise is unrelated to the transmission.

2. A lot of things under your hood could make a whine, power steering pump, etc., but I can't think of any that would affect the transmission to "slip" except the alternator, or even something as simple as a vacum leak? Perhaps you actually have two problems that started at the same time? Or has the transmission or noise been acting up for awhile? Keep in mind a few things can make it feel like the tranny is "slipping".

3. If you do go for a fluid change be sure they USE THE CORRECT FLUID! The main reason these transmissions are considered a "weak link" and have a bad rap (IMHO) is because diagnostically challenged service personnel either put in the wrong fluid, or they say it is the transmission when it is an electrical problem.

4. Either way, I'd say ~172,000 on ANY tranny is getting there. We made it to just over 200,000 though. You are probably going to be looking soon even if it is not the problem now. Something to keep in the back of your mind.

5. In our area we have a transmission shop that is probably the best in the country! They do the A604 (the 4speed unit) for around $1200. They also stand by their work like you wouldn't believe. We had ours done and it has another 75,000 on it. They turned the thing around in 2-3 days.

6. If you go for a transmission shop, I'd tend to stay away from the chains. Ask around, especially to the local garages with mechanics that you know and trust for an opinion on where to take it.

theFREAKnasty82
02-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Hello I am newbie here, I have the same problem happen to my 98 Caravan last week. The whining noise occurs when you rev the engine even in park or neutral. I don't beelive it's a bad transmission or torque converter because the tranny has nto been engaged? Can someone help me here before the problem gets out of hand? Appreciate your help, thanks.

Alex

Do these two checks first:
1. Check your power steering fluid level; make sure it's full.
2. Check the level of your transmission fluid. The best way to do that is wait until the engine is warm. Then cycle the transmission between Drive and Reverse about 2xs ending in the Neutral. Get out and check the level. The whine can also be the result of an oil pump going bad or cavitating due to low fluid levels.

EZFrank
04-07-2005, 10:09 PM
My tranny is sliping but also my van does that whinning noise while in park but when i put it in gear it stops the whining but slips.

GTP Dad
04-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Make sure the fluid level is correct. If it whines when in park the may indicated a clogged filter and low fluid. If the filter has not been changed recently drop the pan and put in a new filter and refill with fluid.

Add your comment to this topic!