Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Silvy's been ROBBED...

silveradoking
02-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey, I just went to turn my truck on today to go to the store...when I see that some one smashed my passenger side window...Those dawm, bastards...they also stole a old antique rug that I had, along with my checkbook....I can't believe this...I am suppossed to have the safest garage (building garage) in the whole neighbourhood... They say their is 24 cameras and security gaurds walking around....but I don't know....The police and management of the building told me that they will check the cameras, to see anyone of suspicion...but who knows....My insurance won't cover the $2000 rug, and the though the insurance covers the $700 window, I bet I will do a lot of forking over to the insurance in the coming years...(insurance premium going up, up, up)...it sucks to be young...where they say that younger people are the ones that cause the most accidents....I know of a couple weeks ago, just down the street a guy that has almost the same trucks as I, his is a 2 wheel , and I a 4 by 4...where his front windsheild got slammed....is it someone has something against the Chevy's? Do some people think Silvy's are a priime target? I don't know about that dawm alarm, I am supposedly supposed to have...why didn't it work? Man, this sucks...

silveradoman
02-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your truck, that can always tick me off big time. Who knew you had an antique rug? did you tell one of your neighbors? seems odd someone would break in to a truck just to take an old rug, see if one of your neighbors buys an HDTV or something like that...

skipr
02-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Hearing this really pisses me off, I am still recovering from all my hand tools stolen right out of my cab, 2 weeks ago. And I'm not talking about socket sets and combo wrenches. I had a Greenlee knockout set (1/2 to 4") two Fluke meters (model 77 and a automovtive fluke with oscilliscope) Cat 5e twisted pair/BNC tester,All my Kliens (too many to list), set of master keys to all 7 local high schools and much more.And for some reason my owners manual for truck. I have more respect for murderers than thieves.

nineball481
02-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Hearing this really pisses me off, I am still recovering from all my hand tools stolen right out of my cab, 2 weeks ago. And I'm not talking about socket sets and combo wrenches. I had a Greenlee knockout set (1/2 to 4") two Fluke meters (model 77 and a automovtive fluke with oscilliscope) Cat 5e twisted pair/BNC tester,All my Kliens (too many to list), set of master keys to all 7 local high schools and much more.And for some reason my owners manual for truck. I have more respect for murderers than thieves.

You must be a fellow electrician. I know those tools aren't cheap Especially Oscilliscope and Cat 5e, if there're the ones I'm thinking of.

Our insurance (on the job) will only cover $400 bucks due to theft, but if you were to go out and buy everything on the tool list in one fail swoop it would cost over $700 to replace. What a rip off.

Anyway, I feel your pain, both of you. I have had stuff stolen both from home and car. Almost nothing makes you madder.

chuck16
02-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Something has to be said for having an alarm, a good alarm. The problem is that people these days have grown ignorant to alarms.
An alarm will go off and people will just keep walking not thinking about what's actually going on. Thieves 80% of the time will look at a vehicle and if they see a sign of security will move on to the next vehicle. What I'd like to see is some sort of Anti-Thiefdevice. Something say in the seat or something that if the thief makes inside the vehicle with the alarm going off it gives them a small tazer shock or wraps them up in a net or something.... Something to wish upon I suppose.

The reason your alarm most likely didn't go off:
Your dome override. If that is pushed in then your alarm will not go off; Also, if your alarm doesn't have shock capabilities it won't go off. Some alarms also have an place for external sensors like air pressure changes. You can get pressure sensors for inside your vehicle so that if in the event the glass is broken it will go off. However, a shock sensor works just as well.

Just my :2cents: !

gremlin96
02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Its been a wile since any one tryed to steal any thing from my area.

of corse my block has a rep. need to check and see if some of the old tricks will work on the new truck. hooked the old truck to a charged cap for halloween it was a shocker. but no body messed with the truck.

had a gas thef for a bit seems he did not like my trucks gas. of corse having a fill tube inside the wheel well sould of been a tip off. the one on the side of the truck had been caped off and i took a leak in the tube. i did hear a bit of coffing and gaging one night.

we tend to be a bit ruff on any one trying to steel any thing.

silveradoking
02-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Looks like I am not the only one...I don't know what is wrong with some people these days...honestly, it really pisses me off...but you can 't really do nothing...What's is the point of worrying...? You get streesed, feel like shit...and you don't get nothing back...because of some scum bag....I have learned to not take anything to seriously..if someone steals, or vadalises or such...then, oh well...there's nothing much to do...I had about one year ago, somebody came to my work truck ( a ford e350 cube van), whom they cut the lock with a bolt cutter and made of with about $2000. 00 worth of tools, and they took some aluminum (I do siding work)...I didn't have insurance for the tools or materials then, but now for about $12.00 a month I am covered....I also know of my cousin whom somebody, but it for sure was a couple people who broke into his shop, where they made of with $35, 000 worth of aluminum material...and what are you supposed to do? What, spend your time crying, and worrying? Nah, I don't know...

Nigel215
02-25-2005, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=chuck16]Something has to be said for having an alarm, a good alarm. The problem is that people these days have grown ignorant to alarms.
An alarm will go off and people will just keep walking not thinking about what's actually going on. Thieves 80% of the time will look at a vehicle and if they see a sign of security will move on to the next vehicle. What I'd like to see is some sort of Anti-Thiefdevice. Something say in the seat or something that if the thief makes inside the vehicle with the alarm going off it gives them a small tazer shock or wraps them up in a net or something.... Something to wish upon I suppose.

Yea, it seems that people have become ignorant of alarms. Thats why I got a system with a 2-way remote. if my alarm goes off and im not close enough to hear it my keypad starts beeping and i can go se whats goin on. This works as long as im within a 1/4 mile of the truck.

jzurita
02-25-2005, 12:09 PM
sorry to hear about your ride, man. Had mine stolen this past christmas. Silverados are such a popular vehicle, thieves look for this vehicle because its so easy to chop and sell the parts. As for your alarm...anyone who installs alarms know the tricks to get around it. I had LoJack installed on my Z71...got my truck back, found the punks in not time. Wise investment only costs about 800 bucks...same price for a good alarm...more effective.

bowtieguy
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
I have no alarm or anything but with the on-star it is supposed to be able to be tracked if stolen. i guess it would depend upon how long it takes me to realize it is gone and call it in to on-star before it is stripped.

nineball481
02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
I have no alarm or anything but with the on-star it is supposed to be able to be tracked if stolen. i guess it would depend upon how long it takes me to realize it is gone and call it in to on-star before it is stripped.

I kinda have mixed emotions about onStar. On one hand it would be nice to be able to have doors opened when keys are locked in and the lojack capability. On the other though, it won't be long before cops use onStar to track and enforce driving laws (eg you speed on the way to work. OnStar sends a message to police, you get a ticket 3 days later) Or worse, insurance companies use it to deny compensation when the find something wrong (use onstar as a black box)

I guess it depends on how much freedom you are willing to spend in order for the few convinences it offers. :2cents:

Sorry for the rant, probably better left for another post.

gremlin96
02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
when i was in college the renta cops spent the day running around telling every one you will get a ticket for noise ordance, if you dont disable your alarm system. it was a real windy day every car with a rocking sencer was going off.

you can sit at a wal-mart and here a alarm go off about every 30 min during heavy shoping times. seems every one loves to try to open the doorbefor turning off the system or hit the panic button to find the car.

http://www.subliminalnews.com/archives/000119.php

Nov. Court Ruling Revealed FBI Use of OnStar-Type Services to Spy on Car Passengers
Court limits in-car FBI spying (11/19/03 - SecurityFocus)

From SecurityFocus.com: An appeals court this week [ca. 11/19/03] put the brakes on an FBI surveillance technique that turns an automobile driver's on-board vehicle navigation system into a covert eavesdropping device, after finding that the spying effectively disables the system's emergency and roadside assistance features.

The case arose from a 2001 FBI surveillance operation in Las Vegas, in which agents obtained a court order compelling a telematics company to secretly activate the stolen vehicle recovery feature in a customer's car. The feature, designed to listen-in on car thieves as they cruise around in a stolen auto, turns on a dashboard microphone and pipes conversations out over a cell phone connection -- normally to the company's response center, but in this case to an FBI listening post.

Add your comment to this topic!