Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I disable the chimes?

balboasdelight
02-23-2005, 08:28 AM
While I admit the chime is less grating than the buzzer in other vehicles, it is still annoying. In previous vehicles, I've simply hunted down the buzzer module and unplugged it, or pulled a fuse. In perusing prior threads in this forum, however, I have seen hints that the chimes are somehow integrated with the radio?!?

I put on my seatbelt _after_ I start the engine. I've been driving that way for 25 years and I don't really care if some GM engineer approves or not, but I sure as heck don't need my truck scolding me for it. Same goes for opening the door with the key in the ignition, or anything else the truck chimes me about. My mother, my wife, and my boss can (and do) nag me -- I draw the line at kowtowing to an inanimate vehicle!

Karaya One
02-25-2005, 09:28 PM
I have been told by a car stereo installer friend that it is in the radio. I was looking at getting Sirius installed in our 2003 and it's win-win with the chime gone.

On my 2003 Chevy G2500 van, installing a Kenwood head unit for my Sirius install also removed the hated chime!

And after driving from Mass to the WPAFB Museum in Dayton, Ohio in the van, I really love my satelite radio! By far the best thing I ever did to a new vehicle.

While I admit the chime is less grating than the buzzer in other vehicles, it is still annoying. In previous vehicles, I've simply hunted down the buzzer module and unplugged it, or pulled a fuse. In perusing prior threads in this forum, however, I have seen hints that the chimes are somehow integrated with the radio?!?

I put on my seatbelt _after_ I start the engine. I've been driving that way for 25 years and I don't really care if some GM engineer approves or not, but I sure as heck don't need my truck scolding me for it. Same goes for opening the door with the key in the ignition, or anything else the truck chimes me about. My mother, my wife, and my boss can (and do) nag me -- I draw the line at kowtowing to an inanimate vehicle!

balboasdelight
02-27-2005, 09:01 AM
> I have been told by a car stereo installer friend that it is in the radio.

OK, thanks.

So that means either all the sensors (door, key, seatbelt, etc.) are inputs to the radio (not likely, methinks) -- or a processor or controller somewhere receives all the sensor outputs and decides when to ring the chimes, sending that (single) signal to the radio. Which means I should be able to ground it? Or is "ring the chimes" just one command on a serial bus sent to the radio?

Does the shop manual have a detailed wiring diagram of the radio inputs? Better still, does anyone have detailed wiring info for the single-CD, no-XM, no-Onstar radio for the 04 LS/EXT?

03LTZ
03-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Not sure if this helps, but in the manual it shows how to lower the volume of the chimes.....

03LTZ

Add your comment to this topic!