Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Camry LE noise problem

AznVR4
02-23-2005, 01:53 AM
Hi, so i was driving my car on the highway and all of a sudden i hear a noise of something falling from the back of the car but i had nothing in the Trunk and couldn't find anything, at first i thought it was my Club falling off the seat and onto the floor but it was still on the seat, i looked under the car and didnt see anything hanging. what do you think it could had been?

Also (this was noticed before the above noise) sometimes when i gas my car i hear a clicking sound comming from the passenger side, my car has 16400 miles. do you think its the Belt? or could it be the hubcaps?

Please help
Thank you

Brian R.
02-23-2005, 08:35 AM
The ticking sound you hear is probably just your exhaust system cooling down. It is common in Camrys. It does it every time you have driven a while and shut off the engine, you just haven't stayed around the car to notice.

Bossman
02-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Funny you should mention hubcaps. My 92 Camry had a clicking sound too and it turned out to be a little piece of the plastic hubcap broke off inside the cap and caused the clicking.

Also, if you're accelerating quickly with a cold engine....well....that's not a good thing. Not enough lubrication until it warms up a little and you might be hearing some engine chatter. Have you checked to see if you have a torn CV joint boot? That will give you a clicking sound too if most of the grease has leaked out of it.

Have no idea about the other sound coming from the back of your car. Best of luck.

AznVR4
02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Funny you should mention hubcaps. My 92 Camry had a clicking sound too and it turned out to be a little piece of the plastic hubcap broke off inside the cap and caused the clicking.

Also, if you're accelerating quickly with a cold engine....well....that's not a good thing. Not enough lubrication until it warms up a little and you might be hearing some engine chatter. Have you checked to see if you have a torn CV joint boot? That will give you a clicking sound too if most of the grease has leaked out of it.

Have no idea about the other sound coming from the back of your car. Best of luck.

HaHa i mentioned Hubcaps cause my 1990 corolla makes a sqeeking sound cause 1 of the piece that holds it on broke off so i thought it could had been the caps for my 04 camry.

I never drove my car on a cold engine. I always made sure i warm it up to a good 1 and a half bar before i drive off. but come to think about it, I mostly hear this nose when i just got off the highway and im running on local. but the car does sound a little loud when its idled.
Where is the CV joint boot located at? cause the sound seems to come form the passenger side.

The sound from the back, I'm going to have it checked out, Im going to put the car on a lift and see if anything snap out of place or anything.

Do you guys know what are the fees at the tyota dealer? I know the car should still be under warranty and i would like to see what the most my warranty could get out of.

Brian R.
02-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Also (this was noticed before the above noise) sometimes when i gas my car i hear a clicking sound comming from the passenger side, my car has 16400 miles.

By "gas my car" do you mean accelerate or put gas in the tank?

AznVR4
02-24-2005, 05:01 PM
By "gas my car" do you mean accelerate or put gas in the tank?

Accelerate

Brian R.
02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Ignore my first post...

AznVR4
02-28-2005, 12:51 AM
could it be the heat vent?

Bossman
02-28-2005, 05:06 AM
You have both inner and outer CV joints at the front wheels with grease-filled boots attached. The inner ones are located at the transaxle (auto trans) and the outer ones are at the inner side of the front wheels. Constant Velocity (CV) joints act very similarly to the old universal joints. If one of the boots get torn and leaks its grease, the joint will start to dry and you will hear it clicking especially when turning. It would behoove you to have it inspected/repaired right away; boots are a lot cheaper than CV joints.

My Toyota dealer (southern CA) charges $75/hour. Since your car is obviously still under warranty then no problem for you. If you don't mind, could you please ask them how often we should change our auto trans fluid/filter? I'm coming up on 20,000 miles on my '03 4-cyl and I'm starting to get concerned. Thanks and happy motoring.

AznVR4
03-02-2005, 11:00 AM
its not the CV joints, let me try to describe the click, its like when i accelerate the car i hear a sound that goes pik pik pik pik in a soft tone as if some one was tapping a pen on a table with minimum strength.

about the trans fluid, i was told should change it ever 15000 miles. My car is all highway miles and its at 16500, i should change it soon also but when i checked the fluid it is still good, does not smell burnt and the oil is still pink, im not sure if the previous owner changed the fluid before cause when i got it, it was at 15800

AznVR4
03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
ok, today while i was driving with my windows down the click seems to be a little loud, while i was driving, my frined sitting in my car said the sound seem to be comming from the back of the car.
Any suggestion what it could be?
it only makes the sound when i Accelerate.

Also, How much will a mechanic charge just to spot out where/ whats the problem is with the car? I need to know this is because i heard that i have to know whats wrong with the car before i bring it back to toyota for the warranty coverage.

Pleas help.
Thanks

WickedNYCowboy
03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Tranny fluid should be changed sooner then 15k in MOST cases. It could be a bad strut bearing. The noise you heard could have just been a rock stuck in your tread being flung out.

AznVR4
03-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I went to the mechanic today and had that check out, they said it was prob my motor oil that was causing the problem because when the engine is hot the oil tends to get thin and would cause the sound to appear, so i changed my oil today to mobile synthetic 5w-10, but right after i changed it there was no sound at all and i jumped on to the highway to see if that was it, but as soon as i got off the highway, i hear the problem again, so i really dont know wahts going on, I am going to bring it back to another mechanic and have it checked out just to spot out the problem then go straight to Toyota for the warranty coverage

yoji6365
03-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Possibilities
Nail or screw in the rear tire causing the noise
Debris in hubcap bouncing around
Look in trunk and see if anything is out of place (ie, jack, lug wrench, tools, spare tire, etc.

AznVR4
04-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Possibilities
Nail or screw in the rear tire causing the noise
Debris in hubcap bouncing around
Look in trunk and see if anything is out of place (ie, jack, lug wrench, tools, spare tire, etc.

Nope its none of that, like i said its only when i Accelerate the car. I'm going to bring the car to the Toyota Service center to have it checked out and tell them its still under warranty. Just have to find time to bring it in.

Add your comment to this topic!