Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

poor cold idle

diy'er
02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
94 Eclipse, 1.8 non-turbo, manual, 156K, recently purchased.

Cold starts right away, but have to maintain fast idle by pressing accelerator for the first 10-15 seconds (will stall if you don't), then will fast idle on it's own until you start to move, then idle drops right back down to warm idle speed, sometimes stalling. This is with any movement, such as rolling backwards down my driveway, clutch still disengaged. Once warmed up, idles fine at proper speed, no other problems. Any suggestions? Couldn't find in FAQ's.

LouieAWDTSi
02-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Try:
--fuel filter
--turn your idle adjustment screw up a tiny tiny bit and see if helps
--make sure oil isnt getting into your pluggs(my friends ford had that problem)
--maybe air filter clogged

im not a professional, just a couple suggestions
someone might reply with more knowledge on the problem

#eTurN^_d0t_
02-26-2005, 07:10 PM
I had the same problem with my Eclise 96 GS. It had one of the wirez burned or something and it kept stalling either when i am driving or not. ( and even when not in gear). I took it to a Mitsubishi Exert friend and he just changed the wire. No problems since :))

AngelOfNight 9
02-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Could be anything from a fuel filter to a vacuum leak. It could be the Idle speed stabilizer or the TP-throttle position sensor. On other engines it can be the IAC-idle air control and in need of cleaning. Make a list of all possible things that can cause your idle and stalling problem and check one at a time.

#eTurN^_d0t_
03-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Yeah I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse and I just got a AEm V2 Intake on it. I had it professionaly installed and I double checked that everything was fine. Yesterday however I saw a drop of motor oil coming down the intake pipe ??? This is kinda unusual ... any1 know anything about this ?

Add your comment to this topic!