Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Camry Accelerator Pedal Sticking

MWMAZ
02-22-2005, 04:39 PM
When I push on the accelerator it doesn't want to go down. Start pushing harder and finally goes down with MUCH acceleration. I was told this was a common problem. Any ideas on how to fix this???

moonshine
02-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Open the hood and locate the accelerator cable at the throttle body linkage, spray the throttle linkage with wd 40.Move the linkage back and forth by hand and spray some more wd 40 or penetrating oil. There should another cable going to cruise control unit right beside the battery.Remove the black plastic cover and spray the linkages with wd40.

hawkeye1956
02-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Something else that can cause this symptom is a sticky throttle plate. Simply remove the air intake to get access and spray the pivot points of the throttle plate with carb cleaner.

Mike Gerber
02-23-2005, 02:03 AM
This is a common problem. You need to thoroughly clean the inside of the throttle body. Remove the air intake hose as hawkeye1956 had mentioned above, but get some throttle body cleaner or some carburator cleaner to spray inside. Have someone hold the accelator pedal to the floor (car must be off) so you can thoroughly clean the back side of the throttle valve and all around the inside of the throttle body where the throttle valve sits when you release the pedal and the valve is once again vertical (closed position). Use the spary and a rag or your finger for this. The throttle valve is sticking in this vertical (closed positon) on the inside walls of the throttle body when you first step down on the accelator pedal. There is an accumulation of oil and dirt that builds up here.

Mike

It is a car!
02-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Common occurance? yes it it.
My 96 camry also has the sticky-pedal syndrome.
it does it on some days more than others.
Looks like I will be doing the same fix- when I get around to it.
thnks

ProMan
02-25-2005, 07:03 PM
This is a common problem. You need to thoroughly clean the inside of the throttle body. Remove the air intake hose as hawkeye1956 had mentioned above, but get some throttle body cleaner or some carburator cleaner to spray inside. Have someone hold the accelator pedal to the floor (car must be off) so you can thoroughly clean the back side of the throttle valve and all around the inside of the throttle body where the throttle valve sits when you release the pedal and the valve is once again vertical (closed position). Use the spary and a rag or your finger for this. The throttle valve is sticking in this vertical (closed positon) on the inside walls of the throttle body when you first step down on the accelator pedal. There is an accumulation of oil and dirt that builds up here.

Mike

Right on the point!

Add your comment to this topic!