Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 gagt Transmission Shifting

ageorge87
02-22-2005, 02:11 PM
i own a 2001 Grand Am GT and everytime i am driving a constant speed the transmission likes to shift all the time like it is trying to speed up but then it goes right back down. it isnt a big difference in shifting, only like 2 or 3 notches but it is still noticeable. was wandering if it is a problem or what i should do. please help me find this out.

fi427
02-28-2005, 08:40 PM
hi george I am having the same problem with my 2000 GA, i am researching the problem and have a bud at a GM dealer who will look it up in their bullitens tomorrow- If you want to e mail me we may be able to trade our findings-- Fi 427@aol.com (jim)

ageorge87
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
hey, i think i finally pinpointed the problem.. the newer grand am's have an electronic shift transmission and when it finally goes thru all the gears it then goes into what is called an "electronic lockup" and if you even push down on the gas a little bit, depending on the load on the motor, it will kick out and try to downshift to speed up or keep up with the current speed. i know not a lot of people like to flush the transmision but i went ahead and got it flushed for like $100 and i think it did a great job.

Add your comment to this topic!