Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sunroof!

PigBoT
02-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey Guys/Gals!

I have a power sunroof on a 2000 Rodeo that is not closing completely. It appears that one side is about 1/4 inch tweaked backward, so it doesn't clear the back corner. I'm getting alot of whistling at speeds over 35mph and i'm very concered with leaking. I've searched all over the internet for solutions or common problems and the only thing i have found are common problems with no responses or solutions.

Are there any adjustments for the sunroof? Are there any articles out there about servicing sunroofs? Should I try to disassemble the sunroof and how? Should I just take it to someone else to service it and who? Anything??...

Thanks!

amigo-2k
02-22-2005, 01:09 PM
have you cleaned and lube the sunroof tracks before?

I was recently in AZ visiting a friend with the same problem; his tracks were full of AZ dust. A tooth bush, compressed air and a little silicon lube fixed it.

Source7769
02-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey Guys/Gals!

I have a power sunroof on a 2000 Rodeo that is not closing completely. It appears that one side is about 1/4 inch tweaked backward, so it doesn't clear the back corner. I'm getting alot of whistling at speeds over 35mph and i'm very concered with leaking. I've searched all over the internet for solutions or common problems and the only thing i have found are common problems with no responses or solutions.

Are there any adjustments for the sunroof? Are there any articles out there about servicing sunroofs? Should I try to disassemble the sunroof and how? Should I just take it to someone else to service it and who? Anything??...

Thanks!
i have the same problem with my 97 rodeo check the side rails on the sunroof the plastic pieces that push the roof up break sometimes which is what happened to me and they swivel up and down and the roof will stay open a little bit if it is sticking up looks like a hour glass shape about 1/2 inch

PigBoT
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Thank you for your replies! I know there are other people out there with sunroof problems and hopefully this thread will help.

I checked the lube...doesn't seem to be the problem in my case.

I looked at the pieces on the rails and they do not seem to be broken.

I've also removed the glass completely and reinstalled it hoping I could get some re-adjustment from the play in the screws. The good news is, after reinstalling the glass, it seems to be better aligned. The unfortunate part is that now, both sides are about 1/4 inch away from fully closing when it thinks it should move the glass upward and seal.

Does anyone know if there are ANY adjustments for the tracks??

Thanks again!

amigo-2k
02-23-2005, 11:46 AM
is this an OEM moonroof or aftermarket?

PigBoT
02-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Well I finally solved my problems. It appears that a TORX screw which holds a guide, had losend and caused the upper arm of the sunroof to come out of track. I have circled the part that was lose in red in the first photo (the torx screw, not the phillips screw--both are found in the circle). When you press the sunroof switch to go back, the piece in the red circle should go down into the small gap (blue circle) and slide back. If it does not, you should check that your tracks are properly aligned. In the second photo observe the brown circle with the line...this is where it should be when the sunroof is in the "closed" position. If it's not, there is an adjustment (green circle, first photo) you can press down on and slide the upper arm to the correct position. Now check to see if the guide properly goes into the correct gap as you "open" the sunroof. IF IT DOES NOT, DO NOT LET IT CONTINUE TO OPEN TO THE FULL POSITION OR YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-ADJUST THE UPPER ARM AGAIN. So make sure your upper arm is in the correct position, then losen the torx screw (in red circle) and adjust the guide so it will fall into the gap when the sunroof is opened. Then tighten the screw firmly. Test by opening and closing. Note that as you are testing the tracks without the sunroof, they may come out of their guides again. This is because the sunroof helps keep the upper arms in the correct position. Once your sure you have everything in place, set the sunroof to the "closed" position not moonroof. And put the glass back in place. Do not force it! If it doesn't seem to be going down into place, you may need to get inside your vehicle and gently push outward on the track arms. Lightly screw the glass screws back into place. Adjust the flush-ness and then tighten the screws completely.

Don't blame me if you screw something up!! I hope this helps people out!

http://www.charliebrownmotors.com/sunroof1.jpg
http://www.charliebrownmotors.com/sunroof2.jpg

amigo-2k
02-24-2005, 12:29 PM
cool.

I'll add it to the FAQ's

S97
02-25-2005, 02:01 PM
THANK YOU! Great information, I'll have to try it soon.

Add your comment to this topic!