Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fiberglass Question

Mojoe
02-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I've made 2 irregular shaped glassed pods for 6.5" component speakers that are going back inside the interior trim panels near the rear wheel wells. Do I need to glass the baffles/front or can I just fleece/resin and cover with fabric?

ngsm13
02-21-2005, 09:59 PM
I've made 2 irregular shaped glassed pods for 6.5" component speakers that are going back inside the interior trim panels near the rear wheel wells. Do I need to glass the baffles/front or can I just fleece/resin and cover with fabric?

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38665
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36873

I was going to type a huge reply...but those sum it up better!

NG

Diceman83
02-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Uh, can we have some more details?

From what I can decipher from your question, I think the answer would be: you should glass it if you think it will undergo more stress than just sitting there. So yeah, at least a couple layers to give it some strength so it can withstand getting bumped into, etc.

Mojoe
02-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Break an egg in half, length wise, and thats what these look like. The comps are going where the yoke would be.
If the fleece provides the structural integrity to support the comps and the fiberglass is more for protection and of course added strength then I think I'll be safe. I'm more worried about the fleece collapsing.
I doubt these will ever get bumped, they're going in the back of a CRX at the rear wheel wells and I've never stowed anything bigger than a golf bag. Guess I'll just see how hard the fleece gets and go from there.

thx for the links.

Mojoe
02-28-2005, 06:09 PM
I used fairly thick fleece and after the resin dried I installed the pods. Pushed on them really hard and even smacked the hell out of them with a rubber mallet... held up fine.

aznxthuggie
02-28-2005, 06:18 PM
i'd add a few more layers just to be safe

and what do u mean baffle in the front? like an mdf ring?

Mojoe
02-28-2005, 07:28 PM
yep...mdf ring.

aznxthuggie
02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
well its best to use it, so there is something to work off off, but it'll also work well without the ring, its really up to u

heres my experience with it

i made an mdf ring, on top, i put about 4 layers of fiberglass, i predrilled all the screw holes, and i got 2 out of 4 screws in, nomatter how but the predrilled hole was

the first 2 went in right away, the 3rd screw broke because it was stuck in the fiberglass.. so i just left it there.. it would be impossible to take it out, the last one almost broke so i just stopped and instead of screwing the last one in i used a hot glue gun on the last 2 holes, n also secured the speaker

if u use the fabric, make sure its flat, or make sure u have molding clay so u can make a flat surface ontop of the fabric when u finish glassing, molding clay helps alot

Add your comment to this topic!