Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How many Pumps on Front-End Grease fiittings

yuko3n
02-21-2005, 06:24 PM
I have an 03 Yukon and noticed there is a total of 8 grease fittings on the ball joints. I would like to grease them but do not know what type of grease to use and most importantly how much grease to use---how many pumps?.

Eggert
02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi,
any decent automotive grease will do. This is not for fast rotating wheel bearings.
My take is that you just want to replace lost grease and not blow the joint up.
Please wipe all grease off the joints so you can check for tears in the bellows. I found two torn ones that my dealer missed because they did not clean things up and made a bigger mess.
Here is the official soundtrack:

Chassis Lubrication
Notice: Do not lubricate the parking brake cables. Lubrication destroys the plastic coating on the cable. Refer to the illustration for the location of the lubrication points for the chassis. Lubricate the transmission shift linkage. Lubricate the park brake guides, the underbody contact points and the linkage.

Lubricating Joints that have Grease Fittings
Refer to the illustration for the location of the grease fittings.
Important: Wipe off all dirt from the grease fitting before lubricating the joint. Ball joints should not be lubricated unless the temperature of the ball joints is -12°C (10°F) or higher. During cold weather, allow the ball joint to warm up as necessary before being lubricated. Use a low-pressure grease gun on all joints in order to prevent seal damage.
Apply grease slowly while watching the grease seal. Apply the grease until the grease is seen bleeding from the seal. If the seal expands but you do not see any grease, do not apply any more grease. Allow time for the grease to bleed from the seal.
Lubricate the steering linkage, the upper and the lower ball joint.

Lubrication Points
Legend (for a drawing not copied here)
Propeller Shaft-Slip Joint (2WD)
Transfer Case, Front Propeller Shaft, Front Differential (4WD)
Steering Gear
Rear Axle Differential
Engine
Clutch Actuator
Steering Linkage
Master Cylinder
Transmission
Oil Filter

Take care, Eggert :bananasmi

Add your comment to this topic!