Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blower on 97 Buick Ultra

Ftrev
02-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Question, will the engine run when the blower quits or are you dead in the water. Also I read about a plastic devise in the blower that is likely to go first. What is this part and could you just replace it or shoud you replace the whole blower? The last replacement quote I saw on the forum was for a new blower and the price from a dealer was listed at $550. this seems cheap to me, anyone else get a quote from the dealer Please???

tman
02-21-2005, 11:04 AM
You don't need a new supercharger. If you'll look at other forums that have this engine (regal, riviera) you'll see that the commen part to fail is indeed a coupler, which you can order online on the cheap.

I'd reccomend changing your supercharger oil too. There are threads on that topic as well.

Ftrev
02-21-2005, 11:36 AM
You don't need a new supercharger. If you'll look at other forums that have this engine (regal, riviera) you'll see that the commen part to fail is indeed a coupler, which you can order online on the cheap.

I'd reccomend changing your supercharger oil too. There are threads on that topic as well.
Thanks for the reply, I am just trying to decide on weather to unload the car as I realize that I am going to face a problem with the blower in the probably near future, have 88,000 on it. Would like to see what cost is involved because the car rides great and have had no other serious problems.

tman
02-21-2005, 02:05 PM
The coupler is all thats bad, you can get a new one for 37 dollars at zzperformance.com: http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=155&PHPSESSID=781667b42b95b3d396152d28bdeffcb8

This definately does not warrant replacing on the car :lol:

Ftrev
02-21-2005, 04:38 PM
The coupler is all thats bad, you can get a new one for 37 dollars at zzperformance.com: http://www.zzperformance.com/products1.php?id=155&PHPSESSID=781667b42b95b3d396152d28bdeffcb8

This definately does not warrant replacing on the car :lol:
Thanks, is the coupler usually the problem. From your thread I found
a site with complete instructions for removing just the snout. Right now I dont think I have any rattle but I will have someone listen with better hearing than I have. Infantry took a toll on my ears....Thanks again this all has been very interesting..

kaspr
02-23-2005, 05:18 PM
At a dealer you're probably going to pay like $2000+ to get a new SC. You can get one from PSE (I think that's the company) for around $550, and I've heard they have a great reputation, and lifetime warranty. To find out if the coupler is the problem, you can remove the SC belt from the pulley, and turn the SC pulley back and forth with your hand. If it moves more than a 1/4" (a very small amount of play), then you have a bad coupler.

Add your comment to this topic!