Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Technical Question PLZ Help

my01chevy
02-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi, I'm new and i have a broke 2001 malibu, (Yay), Anyways i would like to know the torque specs and sequences, for the intake bolts, and the rocker arm bolts. If anyone can help thanks so much, Also i want to see if im on the right track. Intake gasket broke, allowed water, and other fluids into the engine, car sat over night, next day horrible rod knocks, girlfriends car, so i didn't find out about it for like three weeks when i drove it, so it has been like this for a while. When it warms up no more knocking. I think when the car sat the fluids settled down to the lifters, over night it froze, (its cold here), so when she started it its not pumping oil, making a horrible rod knock, so i think a couple of the rods are bent, probaly some bad lifters, bad intake gasket and possible a oil pump, im gonna try to clean it first, Any other suggestions? or the sequence and torque specs for the above question? Thanks to anyone you took the time to read this and can help :) Forgot to mention its a 3.1

bcopeland
02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Its best to get a manual because there is a lot of stuff you need to take off - and you don't want to confuse your foot-inches with foot-pounds. So you would do best with a Chilton or haynes. I went through the same with my 99 3.1 Bu.

johnholl
02-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Around here we have access to the Chilton repair manuals at the local public library, make copies for 10 cents\page. See if they have them where you live. You definately need to refer to a manual.

my01chevy
02-24-2005, 03:07 PM
I couldn't find a manual on a '01 so i said screw it, and so far, i called a dealer and they gave me all the torque specs, but i have torn it apart and when the intake blew it built up so much crap from the oil and antifreeze mixing it pulgged the rods, intake channels and lifters, so now im in the process of putting it all back together, replacing all the gaskets as i go, luckily all the lifter were good and the rods weren't bent, everything was just plugged not allowing oil to be pumped through the engine causing the loud rod knocks, but thanks for all your help :)

Add your comment to this topic!