Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 GA GT-Headlights will nt turn off at all

samples
02-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Suddenly the headlights will not go out when the car is off and keys are removed. A warning bell dings very fast but can obly turn off lights by disconnecting battery. Any advice on what caused this? Thank you

juki_gt
02-20-2005, 07:45 PM
i have a 96 grand am gt and one time i had a similar problem and much more electrical problems and what can cause this is a bare wire that can be touching metal which causes the lights to stay on

juki_gt
02-20-2005, 07:50 PM
here are some of the electrical problems i had with my grand am ,always blows the fuse of my lights, right flasher always stays on ,intrior lights don't come on ,warning lights would come light up on the dash, and finally headlights won't turn off oh! and wipers don't stop sweeping.

meti
02-20-2005, 11:53 PM
that is very unusual for a 2000! Try the followings: check all headlight switches,
do you have anything hooked up like a audio special system or subs or amp or w/e that run to any electrical part or battery?
Its very unusual for ur situation though! :(
let me know how it goes....

samples
02-21-2005, 10:59 AM
that is very unusual for a 2000! Try the followings: check all headlight switches,
do you have anything hooked up like a audio special system or subs or amp or w/e that run to any electrical part or battery?
Its very unusual for ur situation though! :(
let me know how it goes....
The car has all factory equiptment, haven't had many problems with this car at all.The only light switches we are familiar with is the fog lamps and the dash/interior light switch, is above that. Gotta figure it must be a computer relay or something like that. Unfortunately we have misplaced the car 's manual. Can't find a website that has had any info either. Appreciate your response... thanks.

samples
02-21-2005, 11:03 AM
i have a 96 grand am gt and one time i had a similar problem and much more electrical problems and what can cause this is a bare wire that can be touching metal which causes the lights to stay on
Thanks alot for your response, we will check out that possibility.

Mr. Luos
02-21-2005, 11:16 PM
I know this sounds like a stupid answer, but....

I managed to flip my headlight switch to on. Normally I used the automatic headlights, and never switched them on. Well, they didn't turn off.

Just double check the switch on the steering column. Make sure it is off.
Please don't take this post as me making fun of you or anything. Hell, I did this. I overlooked it...

Good luck!

samples
02-23-2005, 09:43 AM
I know this sounds like a stupid answer, but....

I managed to flip my headlight switch to on. Normally I used the automatic headlights, and never switched them on. Well, they didn't turn off.

Just double check the switch on the steering column. Make sure it is off.
Please don't take this post as me making fun of you or anything. Hell, I did this. I overlooked it...

Good luck! I thank you for your reply to our dilemma and you will be "amused" to learn that you were not the only one!!! You are right, that is what the problem was. Finally figured it out Monday afternoon. The car was driven by someone not used to it and turned the switch on while trying to operate the wipers. Feels great to have the car back!!! (I love the auto-lights because I am one, of many females, that used to forget to turn them off.) We still can't believe that we overlooked that on our own vehicle and turned a simple thing into a "research project!" Discoverring this forum was a positive thing that came out of this though.. thanks again and no... not stupid answer at all, they do say, "we gotta be smarter than the machine..!"

Add your comment to this topic!