Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Projectors & HID, anyone have them?

jethro_3
02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Trying to see if anyone has changed out their headlights with projector headlights and installed HID's. If so how do you like the lights now?

yankeeintruder
02-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Don't have projectors but can vouch for the Sylvania X2020 set up. They are a headlight assembly with HID low beam and a 9005 high beam. The ballast is mounted on the headlight assembly so you just swap out the units..... plug and play. 5 minute upgrade.

I then swapped out the 9005 Silverstar bulbs for the 9011 H1R2 bulbs (Dodge Viper stock high beam bulb) and did the 4 headlight low/high beam mod. Awesome!

As soon as I install the X1010 Sylvania fog light (driving light) kit, I'll be set.

For the price and ease of installation I would suggest looking into the Sylvania X2020 HID kit. The reflector is designed by Valeo who designs the (reflectors) used on alot of European and American vehicles' stock HID systems. You may want projectors for a different look...... but this is another alternative.... quick and easy.

jethro_3
02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Beuler, anyone, anyone....???? :thinkerg:

Bump

Nigel215
02-22-2005, 06:41 AM
i installed thoes new bulbs i was tellin u about last week. They are just the sylvania silverstar projector bulbe i bought from auto zone. They are a little better but still not great.

I have thought about getting an hid kit as well for my projectors but the price keeps turning me away. Plus i have a strange feeling that these cheap headlights we got off e-bay might melt or something.

jethro_3
02-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Check this link out, I have not seen very many complaints about the Plug and Play from McCullogh HID. 3X's the light is what the projector lenses need. I won't have the money for them for another 3 weeks. His price is $50 cheaper than anyone else. All the other HID suppliers say that if you have the projector lamps to stay with the 5300K as you go up you loose the amount of light comp[ared to the 5300K. Let me know what you think. :thinkerg:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7955732890&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

yankeeintruder
02-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Jethro....... from what I understand the reflector designed for use of HID bulbs is different than a reflector designed for halogen bulbs. It has to do light beam refraction and reflection. Go to this link http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html and read all you can about HID lighting. Just follow the links for a wealth of info.

Daniel Stern is considered a top notch expert on lighting systems, bulbs and how they work.

Nigel215
02-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Check this link out, I have not seen very many complaints about the Plug and Play from McCullogh HID. 3X's the light is what the projector lenses need. I won't have the money for them for another 3 weeks. His price is $50 cheaper than anyone else. All the other HID suppliers say that if you have the projector lamps to stay with the 5300K as you go up you loose the amount of light comp[ared to the 5300K. Let me know what you think. :thinkerg:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7955732890&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

looks pretty good to me, let me know how they work out once you get the kit. Ive alrady dumped enough money into trying to get my headlights to really work. You should take some pics of before and after. maybe in a month or 2 ill have the extra cash to buy the kit if you are pleased with the outcome.

jethro_3
02-23-2005, 12:42 PM
HID or Nelson? Which one first, to see or to got fast not being able to see?????

I will let you know.....

Jimmiz71
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
^lol.. I thought about buying projectors but went with the PIAA Bulbs (High/Low & Fog lights) instead... Im very pleased with them, Well worth the extra $ and I constantly get complaints on how bright they are from friends and family.:grinno: Plus when the lights are off the lenses give off a blue reflection.
-Jimmy

Nigel215
02-23-2005, 02:43 PM
honestly, the only reason i bought projectors was for the look. I dident really care about how bright my headlights were, now im just concerned about seeing the road where theirs no street lights...oh well.

Nigel215
02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
HID or Nelson? Which one first, to see or to got fast not being able to see?????

I will let you know.....

I say HID first... you gotts see where your hauling ass too, plus it will be cheaper.

bowtieguy
02-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Me personally i would go nelson tune first...but then most of my driving is day time driving.

jethro_3
02-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I bought the HID's first, something about having enough money!!!!!!!

I read the link by Daniel Stern and he does have some very valid points. One of them is to have the correct optics with the correct bulb. The projector lens will knock down the HID Lumens closer to the correct pattern. The projector lens will also use the correct amount of lumens in the correct pattern with the HID if correctly aimed. And yes I will do that :naughty:.

HID's will also keep me from using the HI beam when I don't need it. I know others will definitely like me from being a :loser: if I don't need to in front people longer.

Nigel215
02-28-2005, 08:06 AM
I bought the HID's first, something about having enough money!!!!!!!

I read the link by Daniel Stern and he does have some very valid points. One of them is to have the correct optics with the correct bulb. The projector lens will knock down the HID Lumens closer to the correct pattern. The projector lens will also use the correct amount of lumens in the correct pattern with the HID if correctly aimed. And yes I will do that :naughty:.

HID's will also keep me from using the HI beam when I don't need it. I know others will definitely like me from being a :loser: if I don't need to in front people longer.

let me know how the install goes and how they look.

jethro_3
02-28-2005, 09:17 PM
I have my box of goodies(HID lights).
Just like christmas morning and your dad won't let you play ball in the house.... :bananasmi
To do the conversion correctly I have to do the Hi Beam Mod, Hi & Low both on when on Hi Beam. Should I play hooky tommorow or wait until Saturday? Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :devil:

How long does the Hi Beam Mod take? Anyone? :feedback:

Nigel215
03-01-2005, 08:21 AM
check previous threads on this one, a few people on here have the high beam mod. im sure they can help.

jethro_3
03-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Done, a lot better light and the Hi beam Mod is amazing!!! I have pictures of the light before and after, email me if you want to see as I still have not figured out how to post pictures in the gallery.

All in all I would say the HID is worth the cost as now I can see the light, or was that see the road, yea that's right the road. Still wish it was a little brighter but now I can see!!! :iceslolan

Faze2183
03-06-2005, 03:10 PM
where can you get the hid kits by Sylvania

jethro_3
03-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I got my kit from the previously posted eBay. McCulloch parts. Found a few bad comments about the other brands very few about the McCulloch so that is the way I went. Sorry I can't help... :sadwavey: Just had to do the smiley's, they are so funny. :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!