Fuel leaking out of end of exhaust manifold

weekendmech77
02-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Okay, I am very confused...My Might Max started blowing white smoke and I noticed black oil leaking out the coupling between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. I took of the valve cover to look for blockages and found none. While I was at it, I replaced the PCV valve as well. I put everything back together and started the truck. No oil leak, but now I have fuel leaking out the coupling of the manifold. I have thoroughly looked at the motor, and it is definitely coming from the insidie the manifold pipe. Any ideas???

CivMoeEJ8
02-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Have you smelled the liquid that is coming out of the exhaust manifold? Are you sure that it's coming out of the exhaust manifold? Gasoline evaporates very rapidly! Water is a byproduct of combustion engines, so there is a chance that it is water!

I have never heard of anything like this before!

Okay, I am very confused...My Might Max started blowing white smoke and I noticed black oil leaking out the coupling between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. I took of the valve cover to look for blockages and found none. While I was at it, I replaced the PCV valve as well. I put everything back together and started the truck. No oil leak, but now I have fuel leaking out the coupling of the manifold. I have thoroughly looked at the motor, and it is definitely coming from the insidie the manifold pipe. Any ideas???

weekendmech77
02-21-2005, 02:05 PM
It smells and feels like gasoline. The small puddle that leaked on the ground evaporated with 10 minutes. So I am guessing it is gas. I am stumped as well because gas should not make it that far. I have a couple of guesses as to why, but I am unsure if it is even possible. I have three thoughts on the problem.
1. An injector is priming continuously through all stages
2. Somehow the Fuel return line is blocked (don't know how it would get past the injector, but it's just a thought.
3. Somehow when I removed the valve cover I somehow damaged the air intake plenum or something on it's assembly and it is causing fuel to leak into the piston chamber.

These are only WAG's and I have no way of knowing if they are even plausible. I have quizzed my uncle and he is just as stumpled by the problem. Very confused...

Add your comment to this topic!