Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Grand AM GT No Oil pressure, no power

Candice26261
02-19-2005, 07:51 PM
I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM GT, 3.1 engine, First indication of problem was going up mountain about 60 MPH and lost all power, and then slowly regained power,it will run fine then lose oil pressure then I lose all power, or I lose all power then oil pressure drops, not sure what happens first. Had new oil pump put in, took it out ran great, next morning couldn't pull it up out of the drive way. It will start. but has no oil pressure. Any idea's would be appriecated.

Knifeblade
02-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Presume you replaced the oil filter, and had an engine flush to clear the passages?

Candice26261
02-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Presume you replaced the oil filter, and had an engine flush to clear the passages?

Yes did all that, sorry didn't mention.

GTP Dad
02-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Replace the oil pressure sending unit. The fuel pump is tied to oil pressure and if the oil pressure drops too low it will not pump fuel that is why you are losing power.

Candice26261
02-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Replace the oil pressure sending unit. The fuel pump is tied to oil pressure and if the oil pressure drops too low it will not pump fuel that is why you are losing power.

Tried that, didn't work, any more idea's?

GTP Dad
02-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Did you check the oil pressure with a manual guage? It sounds to me like there is a problem with the new pump too. If you put in a new pump then it should be putting out plenty of pressure. I still think your problem is in the oil pressure circuit that controls the fuel pump output when the pressure is too low. I don't know how to solve the problem but I will work on finding an answer.

Add your comment to this topic!