Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

RPM fluctuates while revving engine in "park" position...why?

mojodojo2k
02-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Hello,

I have a '94 Park Avenue Ultra and one cold cold morning last month i decided to rev the engine in hopes of heating up my pre-frozen interior a little quicker. I noticed the tach doesn't go all the way to the red zone, but fluctuates between 3.000 and 4,000 RPM....revs to 4,000 RPMs then drops down to 3,000 and so forth. Feels like the engine is gasping for air.
I work in an automotive environment and had a chance to get into a '93 Park Avenue Ultra and i decided to rev up the engine while in "park" to see if this car would fluctuate like mine. Turns out the acceleration took the tach all the way to the red zone. Just wondering if there's something wrong with my car and if anyone else notices this or has this "problem". I'm not sure it's even a problem cause my car runs beautifully and i don't seem to have lost any engine performance. Maybe it has something to do with the supercharger? If anyone has an opinion or an idea on what's going on i'd appreciate it!

-Thank you :)

volkerc
02-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Hello,

I have a '94 Park Avenue Ultra and one cold cold morning last month i decided to rev the engine in hopes of heating up my pre-frozen interior a little quicker. I noticed the tach doesn't go all the way to the red zone, but fluctuates between 3.000 and 4,000 RPM....revs to 4,000 RPMs then drops down to 3,000 and so forth. Feels like the engine is gasping for air.
I work in an automotive environment and had a chance to get into a '93 Park Avenue Ultra and i decided to rev up the engine while in "park" to see if this car would fluctuate like mine. Turns out the acceleration took the tach all the way to the red zone. Just wondering if there's something wrong with my car and if anyone else notices this or has this "problem". I'm not sure it's even a problem cause my car runs beautifully and i don't seem to have lost any engine performance. Maybe it has something to do with the supercharger? If anyone has an opinion or an idea on what's going on i'd appreciate it!

-Thank you :)

first of all it is not good for your engine to rev it that high, and to answer your question i suspect a rev limiter installed...

tman
02-19-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm usually levelheaded, but this warrants the following

ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!

You start your engine, you want it to warm up quicker, you then floor it because you want the engine to basically freewheel ar 5000 rpm. This is the dumbest, most dangerous, most rediculous, and stupidest thing I've ever seen done here.

Sorry, my venting is through. I apologize for any offenses taken.

Cold startups are hard on any engine. revving it to redline is exponentially more damaging, especially during startup. It's not ever good to rev the engine that high even when the engine is warm, because theres no load on the engine unless your in a forward gear. Never, ever do that again, unless you want to replace any number of things on your car. There is indeed a rev limiter installed for park and neutral, and for good reason. The engine is not safe to be frewheeling at that high of rpms, but it's okay under acceleration, because it's under load.

Also, try to wait until the engine hits operating temperature before running it hard, you're only killing your engine.

volkerc
02-20-2005, 06:07 AM
I'm usually levelheaded, but this warrants the following

ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!

You start your engine, you want it to warm up quicker, you then floor it because you want the engine to basically freewheel ar 5000 rpm. This is the dumbest, most dangerous, most rediculous, and stupidest thing I've ever seen done here.

Sorry, my venting is through. I apologize for any offenses taken.

Cold startups are hard on any engine. revving it to redline is exponentially more damaging, especially during startup. It's not ever good to rev the engine that high even when the engine is warm, because theres no load on the engine unless your in a forward gear. Never, ever do that again, unless you want to replace any number of things on your car. There is indeed a rev limiter installed for park and neutral, and for good reason. The engine is not safe to be frewheeling at that high of rpms, but it's okay under acceleration, because it's under load.

Also, try to wait until the engine hits operating temperature before running it hard, you're only killing your engine.

Your speaking out of my heart, I just didn't want to come that strong.
Right in all aspects.

tman
02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
I want to apologize again for my harsh words. One thing I get upset over is running an engine hard, unnecessarily. These motors will last forever if you change the oil, and don't run it hard when its cold.

rotaran
02-21-2005, 05:53 AM
The best way:

1. Start engine
2. Shift into D
3. Drive

or install some kind of parking heater.

Mike

mojodojo2k
03-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the input dudes. It's cool now though because i wrapped the Park Avenue around a tree early sunday morning. Guess i had a little too much to drink at a party and i was racing a Ford Expedition and before i knew it....whoops! lol...it's cool though, once i get the money from my insurance company and pay my DUI charges i'm gonna buy my buddy's 2001 Camaro SS and be back on the road in no time!

ashes2ashes
03-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the input dudes. It's cool now though because i wrapped the Park Avenue around a tree early sunday morning. Guess i had a little too much to drink at a party and i was racing a Ford Expedition and before i knew it....whoops! lol...it's cool though, once i get the money from my insurance company and pay my DUI charges i'm gonna buy my buddy's 2001 Camaro SS and be back on the road in no time!

wow....just......wow.

Add your comment to this topic!