93 Villager erratic running

cunokyle
02-19-2005, 04:08 PM
I have a 1993 Mercury Villager with 180,000 miles on it. A few months ago it began to idle erratically and then began to run like crap all of the time. It would act like the catalytic converter was plugged when you gave it gas on hills and such and would lose power.

I changed the cat and it still happens. Since then I have changed the cap, rotor, distributer, plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, and air filter! It still runs like it is missing horribly. I have checked the timing and that does not appear to be the issue.

The check engine light is not on.

I have a code reader but am not sure where it plugs in. I have looked all over in teh engine compartment(that is where the manual says it is located).

Any help here with the problem or locating the scanner plug point is greatly appreciated!

IH8SPM
02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Its located on the dash if what your looking is for the CEL sensor codes. In the engine compartment I am not sure there is one.

cunokyle
02-20-2005, 11:45 PM
thanks...any idea where in the dash I should be looking for it?

cunokyle
02-23-2005, 08:37 AM
ok, I have now replaced the mass airflow sensor...and that did not help either.

jackass#1
02-23-2005, 08:39 PM
if your check engine light hasnt came on you wont have a code stored. youll only have a code if the light comes on. have you checked fuel pressure? dirty injecters? how about coilpack, pick up coil? check all vacuum hoses.
i wish there was a way to record the sound of it
and play it back on this forum. it sure would help.
good luck.

campsc
10-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Had the same problem with mine (355,000 KM and still ticking).
Try changing the O2 sensor. Worked for me.
Good luck
Steve

IH8SPM
10-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Does it idle well and rev strong in park? You may have a bad throttle body or Tps throttle position sensor or a dirty throttle body. Remove the air filter and then the the hose that goes to the air intake and look for build up. Carbon deposots can accumilate and cause the throttle to stick therefore giving the transmission a false signal and not providing the right gearing for accelaration.

cunokyle
10-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Update:

Ok...the timing belt is not the issue...it still runs like crap. It idles a little better, but but it still runs like it is missing badly. I have no idea what is wrong with it now. Time to call the junk yard.

dunmowdan
12-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Does any one know why my 1993 engine will not start. I have checked the battery and can get power to the Solenoud adn teh starter motor and it will only start if I put a battery-charger power-booster on. There is a clicking noise (when I do get it going while I am attmepting the strart it, in a black box at the left rear of the engine compartment (looking into the engine from the front).
Is there a relay or something else between the ignition starter switch and the solenoid?

IH8SPM
12-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Is there a loud buzzing or humming sound coming from your car. You may have a bad fuel pump. This will definatly cause your problem. The junk yard does not need you van yet. Post back update.

cunokyle
12-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Is there a loud buzzing or humming sound coming from your car. You may have a bad fuel pump. This will definatly cause your problem. The junk yard does not need you van yet. Post back update.

The fuel pump seems to be working fine. I have not checked it with a pressure gauge, but removing the hose from the fuel filter then turning on the key results in a good flow of fuel through the hose.

IH8SPM
12-04-2005, 12:33 PM
If you open a bottle upside down it will flow but aventually it will start to flow slower as the pressur increases. You need to check the basic stuff.
Is your throttle body clean? Is the TPS working or set correctly. Is there any obstruction between the air box and the intake maifold. Is there a broken cable for the sparkplugs(i now they are new) Do you have coolant. There are tons of things to check that are fast and easy and require no parts to replcae. I would go to the van and start it up. Let it run for about a good half hour or an hour to get it to normal temperature. Then I would rev it up in park no more than 3000rpm. Then I would check if it reced good I would set the parking brake and make sure the van it facing open road and not a house if you know what I mean. Then I would try to get the van to move in drive while the brake is set. It should be able to. If there is any stored code in the tranny or tps this should trigger it since the gas pedal will indicate that the throttle is open and the car is still not moving at the same pace. This will also put a larger strain on you fuel pump and if it stalls you should replace it once you verify that it is the fuel pump. There is a way to test every thing I mentioned in the haynes manual.
One more thing have simply just checked to see if there is dirt in the one of the many plugs leading to the throttle parts?

cunokyle
12-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions...a couple of quick things...

It does not idle good when revving it up in park at 3000 rpms...it fluctuates and will not hold a steady rpm(due to it missing). The fluctuations are not rythmic...it is uneven and sputtery..if that makes sense.

If I stick the van in gear, hold down the brake, and give it gas, it wants to try to move...it will die if you give it gas past a certain point.

The engine coolant is full. I have pulled off the air intake, and made sure it is clear of obstructions, plus I replaced the air filter. As far as I know the TPS is working corectly...is there a way to effectively test it? I have cleaned the throttle body as well.

I would hate to go through the hassle of changing out the fuel pump and it not be the problem...I have spent more time on this problem than I would like to admit and am honestly about sick of dealing with it.

Richz54
04-03-2006, 01:44 PM
I have a 1993 Villager with 171,000 miles and it seems like the same problem as your. Did you find the problem?

cunokyle
04-03-2006, 07:58 PM
I have a 1993 Villager with 171,000 miles and it seems like the same problem as your. Did you find the problem?

I would suggest changing the timing belt as I am sure that is what the problem was. We did not get it fixed on time and it broke and then messed up the valves in the engine. If you have the same engine we did, valve clearance is an issue if the belt breaks and the valves will get bent.

keshavas
12-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Can the original poster for this thread follow-up with his/her findings?

This problem appears similar to the one in thread 93'villager runs like garbage (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=473989&highlight=93+villager+runs+like+garbage), so I posted there as well.

I too have a 1993 Villager with 135K miles, and it has been behaving much like the poster described.

Four mechanics including the dealer couldn't diagnose the problem because the computer isn't producing an error code. It has new spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, and throttle body cleaning. I thought the car performed well after the throttle body cleaning, but the symptoms returned a few days later. A new engine computer was tried but showed no difference.

The symptoms are:
-hard shifting in the low gears when starting from a stop
-intermittent lack of power with hard shifting (feels like the car is struggling to accelerate)
-At 70 mph cannot hold speed in overdrive gear...slowly drifts down....then when accelerator is further depressed, the transmission shifts into 3rd (sometimes 2nd), and the car accelerates like a rocket until the accelerator is eased up, which causes it to shift into overdrive and the speed to slowly drift down again. This hysteresis makes the cruise control useless and the ride very uncomfortable with accelerations and decelerations.
-At 70 mph being cautious and gentle when pressing the accelerator often lets me avoid the above behavior as I can "feel" it coming. Often a very, very slow and gradual pressing of the accelerator allows something in the engine to "catch-up" with the accelerator position and the car acceerates in overdrive and the engine appears to have normal power.
-At 70 mph, the accelerator seems to have a big dead spot.
-When idling, the engine misses intermittently and less when warmed up.
-When accelerating, the engine misses intermittently immediately after depressing the accelerator but not when accelerating.

cunokyle
12-15-2006, 10:25 AM
We ended up having the timing belt snap. I recommend you take it in and have a shop replace the timing belt and adjust the timing.

greg123
12-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Bad Fuel Injector Replacement Cured Mine. Have A Diagnostic Done . It Kept Me From Being A Parts Changer. Also Cured The Problem Right A Way.

Add your comment to this topic!