Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission hanging in 2nd gear

biagg
02-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey everyone, on a fresh start my dodge ram 2500 4x4 automatic is hanging in 2nd gear and not shifting out for a while (35 to 4500rpm or .25miles). I dropped the tranny pan and changed the filter. Needless to say it's still doing it. Help????!!!!

theFREAKnasty82
02-19-2005, 04:47 AM
your check engine light should be on, go back to either the dealer or go to an autozone or advance auto parts and have a code reader hooked up to your truck and find out what's the problem. Chances are you have a faulty speed sensor.

littlebit
02-20-2005, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE=biagg]Hey everyone, on a fresh start my dodge ram 2500 4x4 automatic is hanging in 2nd gear and not shifting out for a while (35 to 4500rpm or .25miles). I dropped the tranny pan and changed the filter. Needless to say it's still doing it. Help????!!!![/QUOTE
Go buy a can of TransTune made by SeaFoam and put it in the transmission,This stuff works,mine was doing the exact same thing.Can be added to existing trnamission fluid.

biagg
02-20-2005, 04:52 PM
If the trans fluid is full should I drain it a little to put this seafoam stuff in?

theFREAKnasty82
02-20-2005, 08:10 PM
To be honest w/ y'all, I don't recommend putting additives in transmission fluid. It has been my experience that the chemicals inside eat away the clutch packs in the transmission and only shortens transmission life. Make sure all your connections going to your transmission and all speed sensors are in tact and tight, a loose connector will give you troubles as well.

troy1
02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Dodge has a problem with the seal grove in the direct clucth pack (3rd gear) being cut to deep so as the tranny ages the seals get hard and shrink up. this makes the 2-3 shift late. some times under lift trottle it will shift. I cant remember but cold It is worse as the tranny warms up it gets some what better.

troy1
02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
oh make sure your checking it in "N" not park!

littlebit
02-24-2005, 10:27 PM
If the trans fluid is full should I drain it a little to put this seafoam stuff in?
No you don't have to drain any fluid,This stuff works...My truck was hesitating shifting and a buddy of mine that owns a parts store told me to try it.I was skeptical of all these additives and was told by some people not to try it but it's been in my transmission for some time now and hasn't caused any damage.I had a transmission guy tell me that it was a sticking valve in the transmission.It won't hurt your transmission,it's made for this.

Add your comment to this topic!