Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Z71- Thinking about removing door molding?

all4fun1977
02-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey there,

Truck is a 2005 Z71 Crew in Gunmetal Gray. 6000 miles. Not long after I bought the truck, I noticed that the factory put the molding on crooked on my passenger side doors. I measured it up and it is about an half inch lower at the back of the molding than the front. Probably not very noticable to most people but I sure saw it. But I am anal, LOL. Anyway, I am thinking about going back to the dealer and asking them to straighten them or just remove them all together. I am not really crazy about the chrome strip on them anyway. Saw a couple of pics of some other trucks but I will probably leave on the Fender Flares. What do you think?

Nigel215
02-18-2005, 05:33 PM
I say take them off, looks alot smoother. and its basicly free, except the goo-gone. Read more about it, check the post at the top of the page titled "how to: door molding/ badge removal.
do the tailgate while your at it :evillol:

all4fun1977
02-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. Saw your truck in the other post. Does look a lot cleaner. Here is a pic I found that looks like kinda like my truck with no more body moulding.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/photos/index.cfm/id/38095/img/05124181990003

I think I may actually do this. Kinda worried about messing with it just cuz it's a new truck. What the hell though. Will probably remove the tailgate badges too.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

rabt
02-18-2005, 11:44 PM
the truck in that pic is a work truck they do not come with moulding .... which is what yours will look like after you remove it ...

all4fun1977
02-19-2005, 12:04 AM
the truck in that pic is a work truck they do not come with moulding .... which is what yours will look like after you remove it ...

OK, and your point is..................................what again?

That it's going to make it look like a work truck?

all4fun1977
02-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi, Just wanted to post a follow up. I went ahead and removed the moulding today. I am so, so happy with the results. Looks 10x better in my opinion. Also removed all the badges from the tailgate. Took quite a bit of time and I do also have a couple of blisters from it but all in all, I really like it.

FYI, this is how I did it.

I used a room heater (the kind that has the red heating element on it)
Placed it on a chair next to the moulding and just let it sit there for about 10 minutes. Moulding got very soft.
Passenger side came off with no problem and left almost no residue.
Driver side was not so lucky. Left a lot of residue and I spent quite a bit of time getting that off.
Did use Goo Gone to get the residue off.

Biggest PITA was getting the chevrolet emblem off the back of the truck. Tape was very difficult to remove.

Anyway, maybe tomorrow I can post some pictures of it.

BTW, got some door mouldings for sale if anyone wants them. There practically brand new.

Add your comment to this topic!