Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hi! 2005 Z71 Making weird squeaking/clunking sound? Please read!

all4fun1977
02-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey there Y'all. New to the board. Searched for my answer and saw a few things that I wonder if related to my problem. Here are the symptoms.

Truck is 2005 z71 crew w/ 6000 miles on it. Seems to do this for about the first 10-15 miles of driving but does it everytime. There is a weird squeaking/chirping sound when truck completes a full stop. Almost sounds like a bushing or something. Feel almost a little like the bed is shifting but I don't think that's what it is. Then when you let off the brake it makes the squeaking/clunking sound again. Noise is quite loud inside the cab and after about 10-15 miles of driving will not do it unless I brake fast and hard. Kinda hard to describe the sound but has anyone else experienced this. I am probably going to the dealer this weekend, just want go with some ammo.

Thanks,

Chris

tru2chevy
02-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Hey there Y'all. New to the board. Searched for my answer and saw a few things that I wonder if related to my problem. Here are the symptoms.

Truck is 2005 z71 crew w/ 6000 miles on it. Seems to do this for about the first 10-15 miles of driving but does it everytime. There is a weird squeaking/chirping sound when truck completes a full stop. Almost sounds like a bushing or something. Feel almost a little like the bed is shifting but I don't think that's what it is. Then when you let off the brake it makes the squeaking/clunking sound again. Noise is quite loud inside the cab and after about 10-15 miles of driving will not do it unless I brake fast and hard. Kinda hard to describe the sound but has anyone else experienced this. I am probably going to the dealer this weekend, just want go with some ammo.

Thanks,

Chris

Your noise may be the "rocking" of the rear leaf springs. My truck demonstrates the same noise, but is most noticeable on the acceleration. I stood beside the truck and was able to witness this movement while another guy stepped on the accelerator for a short time. Not sure what the thickness of the small disc pads between the lowest and next to lowest leaf spring should be, but it seems of they were thicker to take up the slack that this noise wouldn't happen.

Add your comment to this topic!