Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 rodeo 3 inch body lift....31s or 32s????

ptc1625
02-18-2005, 03:16 PM
hi im going to be putting a 3 inch body lift on my rodeo, i want to also replace the stock tires with larger ones, i was contemplating either 31 or 32s, would there be a difference with the two tires gas milleage wise?? any noticeable power loss running the 32s opposed to the 31s? i was thinking bfg all terrains but not sure yet, just dont know if the 32s would be too much for my stock rear end and my 3.1l v6 to push, please let me know any of your opinions, thanks

amigo-2k
02-18-2005, 03:55 PM
You can put 31's on it right now just the way it is.

if you want a lift, get some bigger shackels for the rear and crank to torsion bars up front.

the body lift will give you goofy body to bumper gaps.

MPG will go down (more rolling mass, less aero-dynamic) a long with HP. Also, you speedo will be incorrect too.

mospeed1
02-18-2005, 03:57 PM
ya i would suggest the suspension lift 1st instead of the bl

ptc1625
02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
yeah i know the 31s would fit now, there just wouldnt be much of a gap btwn the fender and the tire, theres not really any places around here (npt ri) to do any wheeling, but do you think that with stock axles that it would be enough to turn the 32s? or should i just get the 31s, is there much difference btwn the 31 and 32s for eating gas? it would most likely be the same tire, just different size, i would much rather do the suspension lift, but i got 2 quotes of 300 to make a one piece driveshaft for my car, thats a little too expensive for me right now, plus 130 for shocks, 40 for an alignment, 100 for lift parts, as to the 124 of the body lift, id rather have the suspension but the body lift is way cheaper

Ramblin Fever
02-18-2005, 06:35 PM
yeah i know the 31s would fit now, there just wouldnt be much of a gap btwn the fender and the tire,

Plenty of gap available.

I've had both set ups - a 91 Rodeo 3.1L that came with OEM 31x10.5 tires - this truck had plenty of gap room in the wheel wells on stock set-up. This same truck is one I would NOT have chosen to run 32's on, not unless it was strickly a non-daily driver.

I was never too concerned about it being too much for the engine, I was more worried about the wear-tear on the transmission personally.

I now currently have the 3.2L V6 97 Rodeo, in which I ran LT265/75 R16's on for 2 years, the equivalence, I believe of 32's.

This truck rolled those 32's just fine, however, I also pull a boat, and again, was moderately concerned about the tranny more then the engine. So I went back to LT245/75's, had to compromise somewhere.

There's times I want to go back to the 32's, but I also am on the same tranny at almost 140K and would like it to stay that way.

YES, you could definitely rest assured the 32's with surely cut your power, majorly with the 3.1L engine. As it somewhat cut my getting on highway power with the 3.2L engine which has more ponies.

FWIW, and I know it may seem funny - but I swear I had better MPG with the 32's on my 3.2L then with my 245's.

My 3.1L Rodeo never really had that good of gas mileage to begin with, I think it was 15mpg in town and like I said, it came with 31's stock. She was a good lookin truck as well as a reliable truck, but it would've rolled backwards faster on the 32's then it could've pulled em.

You do NOT need a lift with either the 31's or 32's, I had plenty of clearance with the 32's on the stock 97 Rodeo frame - unless you're doing major off-roading.

91rodeoLS
02-18-2005, 10:10 PM
i would highly suggest the suspension lift over the body lift. i run a 91 with factory 31's and a 5-speed. everything works great and i love the truck. i looked into a body lift for my truck but the body center of gravity would have been up too high. i went for a little more suspension lift instead. i did 3 inch longer shackles in the back for a 1-1/2 inch lift in the back and did the upper ball joint relocation along with shorter bump stops on the upper arms. i did it all for around a 100 bucks and a few hours in the shop making shackles and spacer plates for the ball joints.

ptc1625
02-19-2005, 09:54 AM
hey 91rodeo ls did you have to get a new one piece dirve shaft, i would much rather do the suspension lift, but i just dont have 300 extra bucks laying around to get the ds made. did your truck have any vibration after doing it from the carrier bearing?? what i wanted to do was add aleafs in the back, along with shackles, for around 3 inches, crank the t bars to match, flip the ball joints, im worried that if i do that ill need a one piece drive shaft which i dont have the money for right now. the other thing is that with that suspension lift everyones telling me how the cv boots get torn like monthly or somewhere along those lines? is that true?? i do have manual locking hubs which people say will help this but im not sure how often id be having to change ripped boots.

1989isuzuamigo
04-07-2007, 10:35 AM
what is the gas tank capacity on a 1989 isuzu amigo?

dawnnewsome3
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a 1994 rodeo running 265 75 16 on 16x10 wheels i did a shackle lift and all i needed was to have the rearend degree shimmed to correct rear angle but no single driveshaft. I replaced front upper stops for upper control arms with short ones and cranked the torsion bars and had it aligned. no problems .

Add your comment to this topic!