Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Repaired my rough idle. followup

fuzzypuppy
02-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Hello all, I have been dealing with the same nagging problem many others on this board have reported, "rough idle", but few seem to want to tell thier secrets (I guess) as to what the fix was since we never hear back from them.
I pretty much have my problem fixed.
I went through all the checks/replacements as everyone else has.
I was getting low idle, rough idle, (only when warm) idle hunting, etc.
checked( IAC, TPS, EGR, O2, TEMP SENS, ETC, ETC.
I cant say this is going to be a fix for everyone since there are many factors that the idle depends on, but for me my coil was my major culprit, I have the remote mount style which on my truck was mounted just behind/under the air cleaner housing bolted to the intake, I did not like that the connectors to the coil were up against the air cleaner housing and thought this might be a cause for the rough idle since I had already changed or checked all else I could think of. So i mounted the coil horizontaly on the firewall just above the distributor, my idle picked up a bit but the coil mounted on the firewall created a seroiusly disturbing noise, hard to explain it, just the sound youd expect a coil to make I guess, but VERY annoying, as well the noise "static" when trying to listen to the am radio traffic reports here in LA was impossable to handle.
Yesterday i found a nice little ACCEL super coil "like stock" replacment, supposed to produce more juice etc. but mostly i just wanted to see if i could get rid of the static noise when trying to hear traffic reports, and low and behold, rough idle smoothed to almost non existant, the noise from the firewall' GONE' the static in my stereo, 'GONE'. and to boot she's got a little of her pep back. I drive alot everyday, 100-300 miles a day usualy, and even noticed a boost in my milage as well!!! today was the first day I have had it on for a full day but what a difference.
the ACCEL was 40 bucks, MSD had a similar unit for about 10 bucks more, but after looking both coils up online I went back for the ACCEL, numbers were just a little better in my opinion, but I'm sure either one would have solved my problem, now as I said my rough idle is "almost" non existant there are other factors in my case that contribute to my problem, one being a cracked exaust manifold on the drivers side, and a little more slop in my distributor shaft than I like to see, and for just under 100 bucks I can get the ACCEL distributor. the cracked manifold? well now thats a different story, expensive either way, but i think for now I will have to opt for a cheapie set of shorties at about $175.00 a set, not much choice, i figure i'd rather have an ugly set of cheapies than a cracked exaust untill I can save my $ to get the nice $500.00-$800.00 coated set.
So this was the solution to my rough idle, "a weak coil" not dead she seemed to run ok in every other way except idle, I figure the noise's I was hearing was high resistance, and I would have never thought of this if I had not remote mounted the coil to my firewall.
Hope this helps someone out there, i know I have driven myself half nuts trying to figure out just what the he// with this problem.
by the way my plugs looked ok even with the bad coil, so it must have somthing to do with the high resistance causing an instability, dunno. but it worked for me.
guess since I'm at it, while I search for cheapie headers I will say a prayer and look for a reasonably priced vortec intake so I can install a set of vortec heads I have had sittin in my garage for 3 years, if anyone knows where I could look for the items at a reasonable price please let me know huh, no e-bay though, i just can't understand that site, or trust it either, I'm in the So.Cal, area. Thanks, and good luck to all the rough idlers out there.

DEEPEE
02-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Fuzzy, what motor set up do you have? I have the same exact problem. I have a 5.7 / auto / 1999 model. Any #'s off the Accel coil you bought? Pretty simple job to replace?

fuzzypuppy
02-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Hello deepee, not a hard job at all, I have a 91 with a 5.7, your local autozone, or what have you close by should be able to get the proper coil for your truck, some are remote mount some in the distributer cap, but as I was looking my specific truck up on line i noticed that both MSD and ACCEL carry replacment coils that fit in stock locations look stock but are built to better standards than stock, today was the second day with the new coil and it idles way better, even with all the rain and moist conditions we have been experiencing here in so, cal. you can do a google search for yourself to find the manufacturer of both setups, as well as cross references to find the proper part # for your specific truck, on the web sites the give you specications and such as well, one of the things they list on both sites is what problems a weak or bad coil will have, rough idle is just one listed among others. for the 40 bucks it's was worth a try for me, and fortunatly the fix as well. both ACCEL and MSD make some fine quality products so you'll have to read thier data and choose for yourself, as I said though I still have a barele noticable "lope" I would call it now, but my idle is up where it should be and all that good stuff,
and i can't rule out that the "lope" I feel now could definately be caused by the cam I installed, it was the biggest I could use with the computer, and not modifie my computer, it took all of half an hour to do the swap, and this because I like to clean and paint bracketts whenever I get a chance like this.
good luck to you,

Add your comment to this topic!