Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clunking in front end on 99 Intrigue

aerosmith_freak_03
02-18-2005, 01:47 AM
I have a 99 Intrigue with the 3.8 engine. There is a clunking sound in the front end, particularly on the right side. When you hit a bump or pot hole it almost sounds as if the strut wasn't bolted on tightly. The sound is compareable to a bad tranny or engine mount or a rear wheel drive car when you hit the gas and let off (slop in the diff). It has 76,000 and has done it since I bought it 63,000. I have checked bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, struts, mounts, sway bar bushings, and cv joints. I replaced the right axle hoping to fix it didn't. It seemed better for a while but I think it wsa all in my head. I replaced it again when the band came off the outer boot and tore my abs wires up. I thought about the axle being off center or even my hub assembly not being exact but there is no real way to tell without replacing everything. It has a little bit of a quiver when you take off from a complete stop, almost like both tires had broken belts but in several spots. They don't have any broken belts and I have had them statically balanced and dynamically balanced and still no difference. You can feel it off and on all the way until the governor kick in. At about 60 or 70 if you lightly turn to the left, just enough to put pressure on the right tire, it vibrates and shakes like the lugnuts are loose. After the tranny locks up if you let off the gas and then hit it again you hear a real bad clunk, similar to the one I described earlier (motor mount or rear diff). All that really leaves to replace is the tranny, if thats what's wrong then piss on it, I'll drive it 'till it explodes and then I'll go to a junk yard and throw one in it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

CroocialOne
03-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Sounds like you have the same problem that I had with my 98 Intrigue... It was my Rack and Pinion and Steering Gear. After this was replaced, it stopped and is working great now. There is a recall on some of these cars with selected VIN numbers. You might want to check and see if yours is one of them or it could cost you. Even though my car had the problem GM was recalling, they told me my VIN # was right after the #s they were recalling. (Bullshit huh?)

automan25
03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
I've heard that GM is offering to pay for half on those vehicles that are not technically covered by the recall. I'm sure you really have to bug the crap out of them to get them to pay up, but it's worth a shot. My '99 is exhibiting the same problems described above, so I'll be looking into it soon.

Add your comment to this topic!