Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How high of mileage is considered worrisome for Tacomas?

brandon_k_w
02-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi, the only Tacomas that are in my price range will have some hefty miles on them (60k-70k miles and up). Is there a website that will show common problems with tacomas with this high of mileage? I don't want to buy a Tacoma, only to have something wear out because of high mileage, then having to spend $2,000 to fix it. TY

Example:

Looking at a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Regular Cab from the dealership, and has 75,000 miles on it. Cost is $12,998, but I can probably knock off a grand. Is that too many miles? I'd like to drive this truck for like 5 years

wrigley123
02-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Rule of thumb for mileage on a vehicle when you are looking at used cars is roughly 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year. The vehicle you are looking at had anywhere from 25,000 to 30,000 miles per year put on it. Based on industry standards, that's excessive miles. But you're talking about a Toyota! I work with a guy that has 340,000 miles on his tacoma and the only major component that was replaced was the clutch. Any mechanical component is subject to failure at any given time. I have a 2003 Tacoma that I purchased brand new. I currently have 45,000 miles on it. I drive 100 mile per day round trip back and forth to work. I just recently had a new rear differential and brand new transmission installed by the dealer at no cost to me. The tranny went bad at 41,000 miles. If the tranny would have went bad at 61,000 miles, I would have been SOL on the warranty and had to pay for a new tranny out of my pocket. There are no "for sures" when it comes to any vehicle. For that year vehicle and that amount of miles, the price sounds about right. See how much you can get them to come down on the price. If you like it, buy it! Good luck.

Mike

tacoma man.
02-18-2005, 03:18 PM
my 99 has 136k on it, still running like new. only thing i have replaced is the starter and battery.

Brian R.
02-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Mileage on the highway are very easy miles. You could probably put 600,000 miles on a car if you only drove on the expressway across country and you changed your fluids regularly. 100,000 miles are alot of miles if you are only in the city and never really warm up your engine.

There is no set answer. Alot of it depends on how well the truck is maintained.

chester9ll
05-13-2005, 06:05 PM
one of my buddy's has a 91 or 92 tacoma and he just put 600,000 miles on it. runs good tranny rear end and eng are still all original. he calls it his tankota.

Brian R.
05-13-2005, 11:41 PM
The 3.4 L V6 is a great engine. It will run until you kill it.

TRDTacomaGuy
05-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Hello all.... First of all, I have a 2000 tacoma sr5 TRD that I purchased brand new ( 3 miles on it :)and I must say that since day one its been the best vehicle I've ever owned..

I know thats alot to say about any car/truck but its true.

My tacoma has 120k on it ... most highway.. but alot of 4x4 miles from colorado 4wheeling .. and I have had NO problems with it AT ALL!

I change the oil every 7-10k ( used full synthetic since 4k miles on the engine, and just had to change the timing belt at 115k which was totally expected .. but really folks ... thats all.. still got the original brakes on it !!...

thats enough about my tacoma .. back to your issue... NO TACOMA HAS TOO MANY MILES ( Pre-2001) the 2001-current models have too many problems to cover them all... they really broke the mold when they made the 2000!!! ALSO PRERUNNERS ARE FOR FOOLS :screwy: probably not going to win over any prerunner fans but... Without 4x4 you might as well buy an old EL-Camino... cause its not a REAL toy truck without 4x4 !!!! ( you dont buy a tacoma for good Gas Mileage )

I would recommend that you search out a 1998-2000 TRD SR5 ( not Pre-Runner with around 100k that has allready had the timing belt service. ( about a $450.00 service at the dealership) You will be Very HAPPY !!

Just my $.02......... backed up by 5yrs of service free Driving !!

tacoma_dan
06-04-2005, 08:26 PM
i got a 2000 prerunner 2.7 cab and 1/2 about a year ago with 110,000 miles on it, first i researched where the vehicle came from because if it was 110,000 miles here in puerto rico i would never buy it for any price. It came from Florida though, knowing how florida roads are i bought it with confidence that it was minor wear and tear. The tacoma is practiccally new. I know it had a lot of hauling done cause the guy that had it before worked in construction but it was a great buy.

Ando140
06-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I had a '96 tacoma I bought in 2000 with 86K miles on it. Changed the oil about every 3K miles and lubed the chassis about once every six months. The only problem I ever had with it was the parking brake would stick sometimes, it just needed a new brake cable. Other than that, it was great until I rolled it a couple months ago with 142K miles on it. Even after rolling it, I was able to drive it to the garage, tough little truck.

badboy916
06-17-2005, 12:54 PM
i have a 1987 4-runner and a 2003 tacoma....toyota trucks are built to last...best trucks made...i would have no problem buying one with 50-75 thousand miles on it as long as i knew it got serviced regularly....esp oil changes

96Tacoma22
06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I bought my 96 Tacoma 4wd V6 new. I drive 70 miles round trip M-F and have about 145,000 miles on the truck now. I change the fluids every 3000-4000 miles, have changed out the rear differential fluid and transmission fluids, and have had a complete tuneup probably twice now. The thing runs great. I am on my second set of Goodyear RTS tires and have plenty of tread life left in them.

1410mustangiii
07-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi, I bought a 2001 Prerunner Double Cab V6, with automatic, new in April 2001. Currently I have over 115,000 miles on it. The only item of repair has been relining the brakes at 98,000 miles and a water pump at 78,000 miles. Still have the original spark plugs, no rattles despite the miserable roads here in Louisiana, and still get an average 18.5 mpg. I change the oil every 7,500 miles on average since I drive a lot of highway miles. I am confident it will go at least 200,000 miles, which it better because I can't afford a new car with 3 kids soon to be in college. Toyotas run nearly forever if maintained so don't be afraid of 75,000 miles or so. (Of course bring the mileage up to whoever you're buying it from, they probably think the vehicle is about ready to fall apart!) :grinno:

atombob
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM
I sell my Toyota's when they get over 250,000 miles. My friend keeps his to almost 300,000 though by then it's getting pretty ratty. 90K on a Toyota really isn't much mileage as long as it's been taken care of. Like anything if you abuse it, it won't last as long.

I try to always use the factory oil filter as well and change my drain plug gasket every time. Also I tend to always run a TRD air filter. Other than that I just drive it and keep it tuned.

badasstour
10-14-2005, 07:28 PM
well i have a 85ford f250 with 400000 miles on it until i ran over a hiden tree stumb and killed the tranny but still starts and moves it has a stick in i this truck has been in my famliy for 20 years and very well taken care of like never had normal matenance and was beat for the last 10 years years of its life with like five oil changes dont use a drop of oil doesnt leak putting in a drive train out 95 f250 with a five speed

GlocksRock
10-15-2005, 01:24 AM
60K-70K miles is a fart in the wind for a properly maintained Tacoma. That regular cab you looked at had the 2.7L, a bulletproof engine. If I were in the market for a Tacoma I would try my hardest to buy from a private seller who can furnish service records, plus it would be cheaper than from a stealership. Where do you live Brandon?

RatOmeter
10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm mostly with the "Toyotas are tough" crowd and wouldn't be too concerned about 60 or 75k miles. BUT, as with any used car that's priced higher than your monthly beer budget, have a mechanic that you trust check it out for you before buying.

Anyway, but I'll give you my story and let you make up your own mind about quality.

1994 2x4 Xtra cab, 2.4L 22RE engine.

110k miles today, mostly town and country miles.

Measured about 27 MPG highway 2 weeks ago.

Parts replaced:

2003: starter
2002: don't buy a cheapo aftermarket thermostat, had to replace it again. Use OEM parts.
2001: timing chain (stupid plastic guides broke, so I replaced the chain too along with the oil pump and water pump since I had it all apart anyway).
2000: battery
2000: thermostat
1999: brakes pads/shoes
1999: spark plugs
1998: plastic unions for windshield washer hoses
1997: drivers-side rear-view mirror.

Just this year, the plastic latch for the rear sliding window broke and the plastic tailgate release handle broke. Grrr, plastic parts. Haven't replaced those yet. Danged 11 year old trucks anyway...

One final note, my truck drowned out in a flooded street in 1997... got a snoot-full of water. Water was in the cylinders (wouldn't turn over). I had it towed to the (not automotive) shop where I worked, removed the spark plugs, put oil in the cylinders and cranked it. Blew lotsa water out while I sweated bullets. Changed the oil that night and again 2 days later.

That incident had me worried that I was going to have premature engine failure, but at about 85k miles later, it's still going strong.

That's my story, for what it's worth.

bearcat329
03-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Tacoma's were not produced until 1996

RatOmeter
04-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Tacoma's were not produced until 1996

True enough. I suppose that I should not stray from the "Pickup" forum.

RonNW
09-01-2014, 01:16 AM
I bought my 1995 Tacoma 4wd extra cab, 2.7 L, 16 valve OHC , 5 speed when it was 3 1/2 years old from a private party who took mint care of it ... after owning it now for 16+ years, and receiving hundreds of compliments on it, and as many "would you be interested in selling this truck ?" inquiries, I can say this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 50 years of driving. It now has 204,000 trouble-free, reliable miles on it. I have used Valvoline Full Synthetic oil and Synthetic lubricants, Fram or Purolator oil filters, NGK Platinum plugs, Japanese ignition parts, Japanese or US Made belts and hoses, Toyota anti-freeze and thermostats, do most of my own maintenance work.
Engine always passes State emission tests with flying colors, I can still get as high as 28 mpg on long highway trips, winter driving here in the NW is no problem due to the easy starts with Synthetic lubricants, the 4wd has been bulletproof ... clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing replaced at 170,000 miles, starter at 155,000 miles. Original brakes went 110,000 and the calipers were replaced at 162,000. Check light came on at 201k, and small $90 electronic device right side of engine was replaced, no problem now. I have used Chevron gasoline and Chemtool B12 gas tank additive my entire length of ownership...also I use the Chevron car wash 2 to 4 times per month and always get the wash/ wax / clean undercarriage option. I add 2 ounces of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant in the gas tank once per month ( I buy it in 32 oz size at WalMart ..best deal). Change my oil and filter every 5,000 -5,500 miles and add 1 can of Restore at that time. My friend in Minnesota has a 600k + Tacoma just like mine that he purchased new, and has followed nearly identical maintenance (he uses Mobil 1 and Purolator and several different brands of gasoline) as mine but at longer intervals. Both our trucks have near 90% highway miles, we consolidate errands, and keep them in our garages every day. These trucks are an incredible value. By NOT making truck payments for all those years, I saved a lot of money, paid off my home way early, invested in good companies, and do major international travel every year, and major road trips often. Life is good

jimmerj
05-05-2015, 01:06 AM
I retired 5 years ago. So, I took a job as a courier for an analytical laboratory in NorCal just for something to do. We use almost exclusively Tacomas. The oldest Tacoma is a 1997. It has 672,000 plus miles on. It is the four cylinder with an automatic. Original engine, original transmission, original rear end. Three other Tacomas in the fleet include a 2002, a 2003 and a 2004. Each of these have in excess of 425,000 miles on them, all original powertrains. I lucked out and got a 2006 Taco that they purchased last April with only 52,000 miles on it. All trucks have camper shells and all carry numerous heavy coolers filled with ice and water samples daily. Sometimes when I really load the thing up, I worry that the front end might rise up off the freeway when I hit a bump, but they truck on. My 2006 Taco has the 2.7, better than the 2.4 used previously. It now has 126,000 miles and counting without a tick. We change oil at 7,500 miles and do other factory maintenance pretty much on schedule (timing belts, transmission fluids, rear end fluids, brakes, power steering pump flush ,radiator flush, and so on.) We have a guy inhouse that does the work. If you religiously check the oil weekly, check tire pressures and don't keep the poor Taco floored all the time, it just might last 1,000,000 miles. (My personal pick-up is a 2005 Taco PreRunner TRD Access Cab (no timing belt). It has 146,000 plus and has only been in the shop for tires and brakes. I personally do the rest of the maintenance and it has never failed me. So, if you are looking to buy one with 75K on the Odo, you are probably going to be alright. You can tell if a truck has been maintained or not by looking under the hood and driving it. Smell the tranny oil on the dip stick. No burnt smells and not dark in color. Engine oil should be almost invisible on the dipstick. No chunks in the antifreeze. No rust on the side of the block and look for worn bolts, indication things have been removed and replaced. Finally, ask for the service records and CarFax. Pretty obvious. Truck ON!

onyxtellancer
08-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Even with high mileage Tacoma still works fine if the owner is taking care of it properly especially when it comes to maintenance.

Andrew Hansford
01-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Hey, y'all. new to the forum. thanks for being here. I'm looking at buying a 97 tacoma 2wd with 211k( forgot to ask what the engine is, hilariously enough). havent seen it yet but owner tells me it was used on a ranch for pretty heavy work. I've read there have been some problems with suspension failure due to rust, but all those folks were midwest/back east. winter time salted roads. not the case where i live.
I'll look close at the suspension and leaf springs( read about some problems can happen with them), but im wondering if anyone has any experience with this model used pretty roughly, with this high of mileage. Any tips? engine, suspension, body, whatever I want it all, y'all!

Avrios
03-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Hi, the only Tacomas that are in my price range will have some hefty miles on them (60k-70k miles and up). Is there a website that will show common problems with tacomas with this high of mileage? I don't want to buy a Tacoma, only to have something wear out because of high mileage, then having to spend $2,000 to fix it. TY

Example:

Looking at a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Regular Cab from the dealership, and has 75,000 miles on it. Cost is $12,998, but I can probably knock off a grand. Is that too many miles? I'd like to drive this truck for like 5 years

That isn't too many miles, but the cost is a bit high. I'd shoot for something around 10k.

Add your comment to this topic!