Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Theft Sytem and Ignition

skitzodrummer
02-17-2005, 12:06 PM
I have a 2000 Mailbu. Recently the key started giving me problems. I have to play with it and turn the car on and off to get it out. Also for the 4th time now the car wont start. I noticed that the theft system light was on each time. And am posotive this is why it would not start. Has anyone else encountered these problems, and if so, what can i do about them?

snoops
02-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Yuck!

Sounds like your ignition lock cylinder is shot.

There are lots of posts on here about it.

I know about your dilemna because I just went through it. Luckily I'm still under warranty but it's about a $300-400 job I think.

gapboi210
02-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Well the light always comes on when you turn the car on. May just be a bad ignition cylinder. If it is coming on without the key being turned then it is also the theft system which is attached to the ignition cylinder.

skitzodrummer
02-17-2005, 01:48 PM
The light does stay on when the car is not on. And the only way it will start is if i disconnect the battery for a bit or the battery dies and i jump start it. I have heard that chevy has alot of problems with their ignitions. And that this is not an uncommon problem. Thank god for AAA cause i have had to have the car towed 3 times now...........really starting to tick me off. The car has only 23,000 miles on it!! No more chey cars for me!!

russellhurley
02-17-2005, 02:58 PM
ignition cylander about $210.00. Replace the cylander, try to start the car, let the "Theft" or "Security" light flash (about 10 mins) or until it stops, (this lets the car relearn the new ignition) then start the car, all should be in normal operation now.

Shannon7
02-23-2005, 01:35 PM
I have a 2000 Mailbu. Recently the key started giving me problems. I have to play with it and turn the car on and off to get it out. Also for the 4th time now the car wont start. I noticed that the theft system light was on each time. And am posotive this is why it would not start. Has anyone else encountered these problems, and if so, what can i do about them?

Did you find out what the problem was? This exact same thing happened to me at lunch today (I also have a 200 Malibu and for the past 3-4 months it has been difficult to get the key to turn over when starting the car). I got into my car and it would not not crank. The engine would turn over and everything else was normal, but it would not start. then I noticed the Theft System light blinking. I called the dealer and they said to get out of the car and lock it and then unlock it using my key, that did not turn the light off. Then they said perhaps I had a low battery and I should have someone jump me off. So I called a friend and before they got to me the light went off and the car started. I immediately took my car to an auto parts store and they said my battery was 100%. So, have you had your problem resolved or do you have any tips for me about this crazy problem?

wpbharry
02-23-2005, 08:04 PM
The ignition lock cylinder went on my '98 Malibu 7 times over 6 years (the last time it went, I traded it in). GM never got around to fixing it in subsequent model years, I see. I had GMPP, fortunately, so never paid for one fix.

What's really annoying is that when the Theft System light comes on, you have to wait around 15 minutes for it to go off before the car can be started. Great fun when you're filling up at the front of a line for gas and it does that!!! Or when it's just come through a car wash.

GM installed a completely new system on the '04s and 05s, thank God. Should that act up, you can try again immediately with no waiting.

blugrover1
03-01-2005, 09:12 PM
hello I am new to this site and own a 1999 Olds cutlass and the same theft system light problem is happening to me. I haven't taken it in yet to be looked at but I did quit using my keyless entry and unlock the doors with the key and it hasn't happened yet (knock on wood) but I am afraid to go anywhere alone for fear of car theft system light coming on and being stranded. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know. I did call GM and they said I had to take it to a dealer to show proof of ownership and they could override it, but that will cost a bundle I'm sure.

misskitty78382
03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Well the light always comes on when you turn the car on. May just be a bad ignition cylinder. If it is coming on without the key being turned then it is also the theft system which is attached to the ignition cylinder.
hello iam haveing trouble with my 2001 chev malibu, we replace a fuel pump in the gas tank, it ran for a week now my mechanic says im getting fuel and fire , but it still wont start he cant figure it out, someone says its my anti theif alarm system , does anyone know about this problem? miss_kitty78382@yahoo.com

misskitty78382
03-09-2005, 08:10 PM
i have a 2001 chev malibu, we put a new fuel pump on , it ran a week, my mechanic cant seem to find out why it doesnt start , getting fuel and fire but will not start, someone said it could be my anti theif system, can anyone help me figure out what the problem could be>

Add your comment to this topic!