Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Grand Am Starting Problem

jimbeam7
02-17-2005, 02:42 AM
I have a 93 Grand Am GT with the 3.3 V6 and a 3-speed automatic. The problem all started last winter when I tried to start the engine after a short shopping trip. The engine would turn over, but the starting light sequence would not come on, nor would the engine start up. I tried to start it a few times with no success and then I waited a little while. Finally the lights all came on and it started up. After that point, my engine would die about once a month whilst driving for long periods. I would pop it into nuetral and it would usually start back up without stopping the car. Sometimes I would get into the car and turn the key and it would turn over but the lights did not come on and it refused to start. After a short wait it would start up and i would not have any troubles for a while. A few days ago I got into it and it totally refused to start. The lights would turn on for a second and then they shut off when the key was turned fully. The engine agian turned over, but it never started after multiple attempts. I waited a few days and still had no success. I can not figure out what the problem is exactly, nor can I drive it anywhere to have it looked at. I really do not have enough money to tow it, let alone have someone else fix it. I have a Haynes manual for it, but I do not know where to even start on this one. I thought that there might be a relay or something gone out on the ignition somewhere in there, as all of my accesories (minus those that turn off when you turn the engine over) work when i turn the key forward. The main thing that I notice is that whenever my dash lights fail to turn on, the engine will not start. I have checked all the fuses in the driver's side fuse box, and all seem to be in good condition. I thought that someone else may have had this problem and that they could help me out. Any help is appreciated!
Thank you!
A Starving College Student

swalt
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
It sounds like your ignition switch in the steering column. When you turn the key back, will your radio function? When you turn the key forward to aux will the cluster dummy lights come on? If not, I would look to the tumbler/ignition switch. Sounds like it may be dirty or worn making an incomplete connection. Next time it doesn't come on with the key in the forward position, try wiggling the key to see if it makes contact. If it does, it will confirm it is a contact point from the tumbler.

jimbeam7
02-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Yes, the radio comes on when the key is turned backwards. It also comes on in the forward position.
The cluster lights will come on in the forward position sometimes, but then they shut off when key is turned to start position. Sometimes they do not come on at all.

Add your comment to this topic!