1990 ranger, engine ticking.

brandonbuilding
02-17-2005, 03:16 AM
I have a v6 1990 ranger, I bouht this car like 2 months ago., the guy said it was due for a tune up- oil change, and Im still yet to get one, do you think that its really dirty and thats whats causing the ticking?> any ones ideas on this would be appreciated greathly , thanks brandon

blitz/littledevil
02-17-2005, 02:08 PM
thats a stupid question if you ask me... let it keep going and when your engine locks up or blows then youll know.... anyone that has had a car for any amount of time knows the oild has to be changed regularly or else it screws up and as far as the other stuff given ur neglegence of the oile the rest probly needs a look too

Psychopete
02-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I have a v6 1990 ranger, I bouht this car like 2 months ago., the guy said it was due for a tune up- oil change, and Im still yet to get one, do you think that its really dirty and thats whats causing the ticking?> any ones ideas on this would be appreciated greathly , thanks brandon

As much as I hate saying this, he is full of shit. You can be assured that your engine is not going to blow up on you, though. :) You have must have the 2.9L V6, notorious for cracking heads and ticking lifters.

If I were you, I would run the truck for 5 minutes and check under the oil cap. If you got some snot looking stuff, you got real hosed. It means you either have a cracked head or blown head gasket, either way, you're going to have a few hours a head of you for repairs. I bought new heads for $450 that are aftermarket and will not crack as easily. Usually you can see the crack above the #1 and #6 cylinders with the valve covers off. Just check it, you'll burn up your rod bearings if you have water/antifreeze in your oil. The 90 heads were better, but sure enough, they still crack.

The ticking lifters can only be fixed by installing a new cam, lifters, push rods and cleaning the rocker arm assembilies out really well. Possibly even new rocker arms. It's normal though, unless you have low oil pressure and a really LOUD tick. Or if the tick comes and goes off the high way.

A little thicker oil might help, but the only real remedy is to rebuild the top half of the motor. I would just deal with it until the whole motor is ready to be rebuilt. FYI: The oil pressure gauge on the 88 and up don't work like you would think they would. It mainly just show if it have any pressure or no pressure, it doesn't reflect any value of pressure by any means.

Pete

giczei@aol.com
02-17-2005, 09:37 PM
I have the same problem with my 1990 Ford Ranger. There are no signs of a cracked head, but a burnt value.

Of the intermittent ticking noise, my mechanic once told me I could get a 100,000 miles on a different vehicle without a problem. It wasn't worth a head-job. So, that's what I have gone with. Maybe that's wrong to do?

Psychopete
02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I have the same problem with my 1990 Ford Ranger. There are no signs of a cracked head, but a burnt value.

Of the intermittent ticking noise, my mechanic once told me I could get a 100,000 miles on a different vehicle without a problem. It wasn't worth a head-job. So, that's what I have gone with. Maybe that's wrong to do?

You lost me .... :dunno:

Pete

blitz/littledevil
02-18-2005, 12:52 PM
:disappoin

Psychopete
02-18-2005, 02:29 PM
:disappoin

No need to be disappointed. It's not that I don't know the solution, it's that I can't understand the question..

Pete

Add your comment to this topic!