Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator repair is good, but light is still on, ignore?

Volkswagon
02-17-2005, 01:36 AM
1990 Acruat Integra LS
After Alternator was installed, I started car and it runs great but, the Battery light is still on.

I checked voltage on the battery, it reads a healthy 14.5 volts and drops only slighty when accessories are used. When off, the battery drops to 12.5-13 volts initially.

It seems to work just fine, just the stupid battery light is still on. Is there a way to reset it?
I have not totally got it off the jacks yet, I have to retap a grease fitting on a tie rod end.

But everything else is done. Will the light eventually go off? Why the heck is it still on? Belt is tight, Alt is rebuilt and works great, battery holds a charge. Whats going on?

I guess I need to go over everything one more time, but I pretty damn sure I got everything correct.

Please help

CivicSpoon
02-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and it should reset the ECU. There's some fuse you can take out and do the same thing with, but I forget which one.

Volkswagon
02-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Did that, now I've disconnected both cables last night. I'll connect them today...

xsmilk
02-18-2005, 08:45 AM
my 90 ls had the same problem. when i swapped out the alt from another car.. it lasted a year ... with the bat light on..... it the reset dosent work have the alternator tested....luck

Volkswagon
02-18-2005, 12:21 PM
The guy I took it to said it had the wrong voltage regulator on it. He changed it out and gave me a personal u won't have any more problems promise, so we'll see...

Volkswagon
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
fixed

karlossoto
03-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Hey I'm having the same problem with my Acura. I own a Acura Intera 1990 LS (3 doors). One week ago my alternator went dead. I took it down and to a repair shop. After a quick fix I took it back and installed it on the car the alternator charge light was on but the car was charging ok. Volskwagen says that the repairman told him that the voltage regularor was to blame.

Volskwagen do you now what brand was the voltage regulator?

The one on my car is a Transpo IN444..

Thanks,

Carlos

Volkswagon
03-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I cannot tell u off hand, but I am 100% sure u have the wrong VR. I had one for a Honda civic in mine, u need an acura one. Most alternator/starter shops should know this...I'm in Houston I can give u the name of the place I went to, but it may not be practical for your location.

karlossoto
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your reply! I just finished working with my car. You were right they gave me the wrong VR. Just for the record. I you own a Acura Integra LS 90 the VR should be the following one if the part is from TRANSPO IN225

For other cars please go

www.transpo.de

In there you will find the car app guide they will tell wich VR is the correct one.

Carlos

ImaSavage
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Follow Up Question:::

I have a 1990 Acura Integra with a finiky battery light. It will come on and off at random and is no longer a reliable indication of batter life. When the light is on and the car is running, the battery life is drawn down and the car will stall out. Every time is different though, and the battery may last a whole day before stalling, or within a few miles of driving. But the next time I start the car the light no longer comes on and the car functions as normal.

I want to know if this is related to the alternator or is there another electrical component that could be causing this intermittent charging?

thanks

Add your comment to this topic!