Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

gem module on 2000 Taurus

laurakneipp
02-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Dealer says GEM Module needs to be replaced. We only have one problem w/the car. The Driver Side Window (equiped w/express down) only works for about 10 minutes in the morning. The window will not go up or down the rest of the day. Once the car sits for a LONG time and is stone-cold... the window magically works again! If GEM Module controls many electronic functions, why aren't we having problems w/wipers, door locks, etc? Dlr. wants $220.00 for part... WHAT SHOULD I DO?

drdisque
02-16-2005, 04:53 PM
take off the door panel and see what's going on, i bet its not the GEM

laurakneipp
02-16-2005, 07:16 PM
what should I be looking for when I take off the door panel??? I am pretty clueless about this.

drdisque
02-16-2005, 11:27 PM
anything obvious, see if the relays are clicking, see if the motor is binding up or trying to work and just can't, see if all the wiring is in good shape, etc

laurakneipp
02-17-2005, 08:29 AM
I told the dlr that I thought it was the relay, because when the window is not working while the switch is depressed, I can hear a distinct clicking. I was told this is the sound of the relay. It almost sounds like it comes from the dash??? Anyway, I tried to order a relay at the parts store before I ever took it to the dlr, but was told part not avail thru them because it did not show up on their parts list for Taurus. I don't know what a relay looks like or where it is located on this car... Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help!

sammydog
02-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Dealer says GEM Module needs to be replaced. We only have one problem w/the car. The Driver Side Window (equiped w/express down) only works for about 10 minutes in the morning. The window will not go up or down the rest of the day. Once the car sits for a LONG time and is stone-cold... the window magically works again! If GEM Module controls many electronic functions, why aren't we having problems w/wipers, door locks, etc? Dlr. wants $220.00 for part... WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I just went to a junk yard and picked up a GEM module for $20.00. You have to make sure the GEM module part number matches exactly. The GEM module resides behind the fuse panel under the dashboard. It is to the left of the brake pedal. There are 3 connectors on the bottom that quick release and there are 3 connectors on the left side which have a screw that holds each of them down. If you are going to attempt this, make sure you disconnect the battery before you pull things out. It took me about 15 minutes to pull it out, 10 minutes to swap out the GEM module and 15 minutes to put everything back in.

laurakneipp
02-20-2005, 09:23 AM
WOW! Thanks for the GREAT advice. I really appreciate your help and will attempt the repair myself. How did you know there was a problem w/your gem module? Did you only have one function fail while all others worked fine? This fact still baffles me... Anyway, thanks for the info... I will let you know how it works out!

Add your comment to this topic!