Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 cav. dumping to much fuel?

wvrefugee
02-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Great forum here! In need of some opinions.

My cavalier runs great, then just like flipping a lightswitch, a sudden loss power, funny sound from the exaust, smell of gas in the car. It almost seems like I'm running on just a cylinder or two. Then again, like turning on lightswitch, bam, every thing is back to normal. Usaully after several miles it does this. Its been going on now for a couple weeks.

Just today had a new catylic converter put on after noticing yesterday that it was glowing red. Exact same problems, the new one was glowing red after the drive home today. Other new things installed trying to fix this pain have been new plug wires, plugs, gas filter. Also have been running injector cleaner from the getgo.

It's either running great, or horrible. Good for a few miles, then bam, terrible for a few. I'm beginning to think bad injector, or bad computer allowing to much fuel to be dumped.

Any opinions, ideas? As to what me causing this?
Thanks

Tookie
02-16-2005, 06:40 PM
My guess is there is fuel unburned leaving the cylinder(s) and burning as soon as it enters the Cat. In that case what you got there is a furnace. No backfires? No white smoke? Too lean a mixture maybe? Time for a sensor check I'd say.

Tookie

Tookie
02-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Oh! And have those coils checked. Those damned coils! Look for fine cracks on/near the corners of the housing. Real spark diverters in humid/damp weather.

Tookie

noshun
02-16-2005, 08:52 PM
probaly coil packs! Don't worry about a hot cat! They do that on occasion! They need to be hot for the platinum and rhodium to do their job. Just avoid puddles! sounds; like and ignit prob if you can smell gas, although have you looked under the hood for gas leaking from the injectors?! Could be coil, could be old plug and/or leads. Could be cranks sensor! Has the trans been taken out recelty at all?!

Add your comment to this topic!