Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Idle air control valve question

kesslerbud
02-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Yesterday my truck would'nt maintain idle, it would start up just fine and would rev just fine when I gave it gas but as soon as I let off the acc. it would flat out die.....no hesitation or sputter or nothing. I looked on here and saw a thread pertaining to this particular issue and I followed the advice given by others such as cleaning the IACV which worked but then my truck was idling at around 1400 rpm's......not good. So I replaced the IACV last night and everything worked perfect, I drove it around for about 15 minutes until I was satisfied that all was cool. I went to go to work this morning and had the exact same problems as I had before I changed out the IACV. I flat out will not hold idle.

Any suggestions?

scoutinkeith
02-16-2005, 02:20 PM
when you replaced the IAC, did you reset the computer by disconnecting the neg. battery cable?

kesslerbud
02-16-2005, 03:35 PM
when you replaced the IAC, did you reset the computer by disconnecting the neg. battery cable?

Yes sir I sure did.

theFREAKnasty82
02-16-2005, 11:17 PM
usually when you replace the IAC, the plunger has to be reset; if not it'll cause idling issues.

scoutinkeith
02-17-2005, 07:09 AM
thefreaknasty82,
how do you go about resetting the IAC? just wandering, 'cause when I had to clean my IAC, I was told by several people, not to move(push, pull, or twist) the plunger wile it was off of the engine, as doing that could mess it up.

kesslerbud,
I'm not exactly sure what the problem could be, but (this is just a guess) it might be a good idea to check the TPS voltage. it may be posable that if the tps voltabe is to high, the computer thinks you are already on the gass, and is telling the IAC to close. just a thought, and if you have a volt meter, it dosn't cost anything to check it out.

kesslerbud
02-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Got it figured folks. It wound up being a corroded & deteriorated neg. battery cable. It was weird how it only affected the idle though, everything else worked just fine. So I probably spent $49 on a IACV for no reason. Thanks for the imput though, much appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!