Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Misfire or not?

Shadetreeme
02-16-2005, 10:59 AM
I notice the other day while at a red light. My foot on the brake, felt like there was a small pause in idle. I turned down the radio to check if there was a sound that accompanyed it but nothing. I have put new AC Delco Rapid Fire Plat plugs (pre gapped) and Borg Warner wire set two weeks ago. I have checked them, all in tact. I have done the tune up many times before without a prob. Any ideas?

Goose10202
02-18-2005, 08:05 AM
My experience with these computer controlled engines has seen this before and it usually can be isolated to the intake, specifically around the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It controls the amount of air that is let in around the throttle valve while the engine is at idle. Another part at play can be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). If that sends a slightly different signal to the computer for whatever reason, it could cause the engine to do that. What you experienced may not necessarily tell you there is something wrong but if it becomes something experienced more and more you might look at the throttle body for the culprit. Sometimes merely cleaning the body and ports can make the difference by using a good spray. I hope this helps.

Shadetreeme
02-18-2005, 08:28 AM
My experience with these computer controlled engines has seen this before and it usually can be isolated to the intake, specifically around the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It controls the amount of air that is let in around the throttle valve while the engine is at idle. Another part at play can be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). If that sends a slightly different signal to the computer for whatever reason, it could cause the engine to do that. What you experienced may not necessarily tell you there is something wrong but if it becomes something experienced more and more you might look at the throttle body for the culprit. Sometimes merely cleaning the body and ports can make the difference by using a good spray. I hope this helps.

Prob solved! I didn't check the gap when I purchased the AC Delco Rapid Fire Platinum Plugs (pregapped). I didn't think I needed to. I was wrong. I have also bought a can of Sea Foam and filled my tank with Premium gas. I have notice power and throttle response. I don't know if it is the gas or the Sea Foam.

Add your comment to this topic!