Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'03 Malibu Cluster removal

theothermac
02-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Anyone taken their instrument cluster out? I see the two screws above the gauges...but what's holding the rest of the fake wood in?? Gentle pulling get it done? Anywhere in particular to pull to avoid breaking anything??

Thanks!

gapboi210
02-16-2005, 10:33 AM
I found it easier to start at the passenger end. Besides the two screws above the gauges, the rest is snapped in. I just worked my way down and it came out easily. Don't yank though, because you will need to unplug the hazard switch and the dimmer/foglight switch also.

theothermac
02-16-2005, 11:32 AM
I found it easier to start at the passenger end. Besides the two screws above the gauges, the rest is snapped in. I just worked my way down and it came out easily. Don't yank though, because you will need to unplug the hazard switch and the dimmer/foglight switch also.

THANKS! I figured that..but until you do it or ask someone that has, you never know!!

drill_sergant_cujo
01-02-2007, 01:01 PM
i have the same problem with my 02 malibu. i want to take out the cluster, but i heard that the air bag will go off if u start unplugging things from the cluster is this true? will it damage my gauges>?

madmedix
01-02-2007, 11:06 PM
i have the same problem with my 02 malibu. i want to take out the cluster, but i heard that the air bag will go off if u start unplugging things from the cluster is this true? will it damage my gauges>?

Haven't heard the airbag going off trick yet when playing with guages (anything is possible, and I've never removed the cluster) but there is a wiring harness in each fuse panel for each airbag that is held in place with a plastic safety. The safety latches are yellow on my car so they really stand out. That's the airbag wiring. I always unplug these 2 puppies before I touch anything in the dash just for safety's sake. Nothing will straighten u out faster than an airbag punting your head into the back seat:icon16:. Hope that helps.
When you get it out, what size lamp fits in the guage panel anyway? I've got a dead one that needs changing out. Those LEDs look tempting...

theothermac
01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow....haven't been here in a while....

I did get my cluster out...no prob. I installed one of those aluminum bezels on the gauges. Looks good! Took maybe 30 minutes total. Airbag is still there...LOL! you dont have to screw with the wheel at all to get the cluster out.

Later....

fiberglasscivic
01-12-2007, 12:32 PM
From what I understand you can't just pick up those bulbs from your local automotive store, you have to get them from the dealer or a used parts place.

Add your comment to this topic!