Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Probe GT Valve Cover Gasket replacement ?

hugger94
02-15-2005, 10:47 PM
My son has a 93 Probe GT which has oil getting into the plug tubes and in a couple of spark plugs the oil was nearly over the tip of the plug.

I guess I need to find out how difficult it is to replace the valve cover gaskets as that is what the local Goodyear tire store indicated needing done. We replaced the plugs and plug wires this evening, the Probe started right up and didn't miss out as it was doing before they were replaced.

I know I would have to remove the Intake Manifold to get the covers off, but would I have to remove the distributor? Will I need any special tools to complete this task?

Any advice would be apprecitated.

hugger94.

a1waytrip
02-17-2005, 11:48 PM
hey, i know my probe is needing the same thing, i am really not sure how much work is involved, but you should try running some oil additives or high mileage oil. i started running it, and it has basicly stoped oil from getting into the plugs. mine might not be as severe as yours though, but mine was pretty bad when i changed the plugs for the first time. good luck
tom
oh if your gonna go ahaed and do this, i have a service manual that i could scan for you, i just don't feel like looking in the garrage right now for it, good luck!

93 probe
02-24-2005, 12:59 AM
i guess that probes valve gaskets r pretty bad cause mine was doin the same thing 2 and i think that mine was worse than both of yours cause it was getting oil everywhere. my alternator was covered inside and out, and the oil got all over my belts and it made them snap and that was such a bitch 2 fix. neways the valve cover is really easy. it takes about 2 maybe 3 hours at the most all u do is take off the intake manifold take off the valve covers replace the gaskets and put it back 2gether but u have 2 screw the bolts in a certain order or it will not distribute pressure evenly. it tells the exact order in the manual but it isnt 2 hard

Add your comment to this topic!