Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignitor (Ignition Component)

bkydmech
02-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi, has anyone replaced an ignitor or know about where the component is located? How much is the component? I understand the ignitor is the component before the ignition coil and is often the trouble when an engine has electrical hesitation issues and everything else has been replaced.

I had an ignitor go out on an '88 Acura, Honda of America paid for the replacement because it was an manufacturing defect with the OKI semi conductor chip.

Thanks

Flash75
02-16-2005, 06:11 AM
What year truck do you have and which engine is in it? Newer trucks have a combined coil and ignitor for each spark plug. You say everything else has been replaced, tell us you have done. Why do you think the hesitation is caused by ignition? I ask all these questions because we try to help answer your question without seeing your truck or hearing it run so we need as much information as you can supply.

Clifton

bkydmech
02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
What year truck do you have and which engine is in it? Newer trucks have a combined coil and ignitor for each spark plug. You say everything else has been replaced, tell us you have done. Why do you think the hesitation is caused by ignition? I ask all these questions because we try to help answer your question without seeing your truck or hearing it run so we need as much information as you can supply.

Clifton

1996 2.7 litre, I think its the ignitor since its runnings exactly the way my acura was running before it needed a new ignitor, other people on the board have also reported that hesitation that can't be fixed from the common steps, i.e. plugs, plug wires, etc. is usually an ignitor issue. It also runs great above 3000 rpm which leads me to believe its not an issue with fuel delivery. Most of the hesitaion occurs in the 1800-2200 rpm range.

Flash75
02-17-2005, 07:39 AM
I hope someone else with more Toyota knowledge than I have will come in. Most tachometers get their signal off the ignitor and if you have a tac it should be fluttering/bouncing, etc. if the ignotor is cutting out. I don't know where your ignitor is or how much it costs. I checked for Tacoma recalls and didn't find any for a 96. If you have a shop manual the ignition troubleshooting flow charts may help. Randomly replacing parts will sometimes work but in many cases it is an expensive way to fix or perhaps not fix a problem problem. I don't understand why you have a midrange problem and the engine runs well at high speed when the ignition is working harder. It almost sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Clifton

wrigley123
02-17-2005, 08:54 AM
When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

Mike

mdilligan
02-17-2005, 05:47 PM
My 1997 2.7 was having an intermittant misfire at freeway speeds (a little under 3k rpm). Just every so often it would sort of hiccup. I checked my plugs and they looked good, I tried fuel injector cleaner which seemed to temporarily help but then I replaced my fuel filter (which was a PITA by the way) and it hasn't happened since. I haven't driven that much since but I've driven enough that I think it's cured. If that didn't work my next bet would be to first clean the Throttle Position Sensor (at the beginning of the intake manifold) and the Mass Flow Sensor (right after the airbox). If that didn't work I'd try replacing the TPS. If that didn't work it'd be off to a shop. I've read a lot of stories like mine and they have always been solved by either new plugs, new fuel filter, cleaning those components, or at the very most replacing the TPS (well in one case it was old plug wires arcing out). I've never read of anyone having an ignition component die on them and I suspect they will not be cheap (I think it's part of the overall "black box" that runs everything). So check your plugs and wires and those things above before you start trying to replace the ignition sensor.

Matt

bkydmech
02-17-2005, 09:04 PM

Mike

Hey, thanks, I think this is good advise. I did buy a fuel filter from rockauto on the internet, its sitting in my garage, I identified the location of the filter under the intake manifold, its going to be a bear to get to. Since its was running great at high RPM, I didn't think it was worth replacing, and also Toyota said it will generally last the life of the vehicle. This really seems incorrect with what I've known from the past, fuel filters have always plugged up. Only recently have I been able to get the fuel filter, in the past I would ask at the parts counter and just get a strange look. Now Since I have it, I may as well figure out getting it installed. Today it was running better also since it was a bit warmer out, its kind of a strange problem.

ILETEMGO
02-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi, has anyone replaced an ignitor or know about where the component is located? How much is the component? I understand the ignitor is the component before the ignition coil and is often the trouble when an engine has electrical hesitation issues and everything else has been replaced.

I had an ignitor go out on an '88 Acura, Honda of America paid for the replacement because it was an manufacturing defect with the OKI semi conductor chip.

Thanks
It's located on the passenger side fender well. It's bolted on top of a metal bracket. It is about the size of a pack of smokes. List price is $403.73 and we have 2 in stock. I have sold 7 in the last 18 months so it is something that breaks.

bkydmech
03-06-2005, 03:07 PM

Mike

Replaceing the fuel filter did the trick, By the time I was able to remove the old one, it was severly clogged, replaced it and runs and starts great!

removing and replacing it was a chore, its located under the intake manifold and you can barely get a wrech there, there is basically only one way to get to the bolts top and bottom to remove it. if you have small flexible and strong hands to reach around severe corners you will be very lucky. Then you have to remove the in/out bolts at either end to get the unit out. You will need to be able to work with an extreme sense of touch when resintalling the bolts back, since you will not be able to see most of what you are working on.

For future feference I located the ignitor, it is indeed above the passenger front tire with in the engine compartment and its actually the size if a small wooden matchbook. It says ignitor on the outside, I find it suprising it would cost $417 bucks, I'm going to research the price further and bet its alot less on www.rockauto.com By the way rockauto rocks with great customer service!

wrigley123
03-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Replaceing the fuel filter did the trick, By the time I was able to remove the old one, it was severly clogged, replaced it and runs and starts great!

removing and replacing it was a chore, its located under the intake manifold and you can barely get a wrech there, there is basically only one way to get to the bolts top and bottom to remove it. if you have small flexible and strong hands to reach around severe corners you will be very lucky. Then you have to remove the in/out bolts at either end to get the unit out. You will need to be able to work with an extreme sense of touch when resintalling the bolts back, since you will not be able to see most of what you are working on.

For future feference I located the ignitor, it is indeed above the passenger front tire with in the engine compartment and its actually the size if a small wooden matchbook. It says ignitor on the outside, I find it suprising it would cost $417 bucks, I'm going to research the price further and bet its alot less on www.rockauto.com By the way rockauto rocks with great customer service!

This is the first Toyota of any kind that I have owned. What throws me for a loop is there is no preventative maintenance replacement interval for the fuel filter. Every other vehicle I have ever owned had a replacement interval for the fuel filter.

Mike

bkydmech
03-06-2005, 11:14 PM
This is the first Toyota of any kind that I have owned. What throws me for a loop is there is no preventative maintenance replacement interval for the fuel filter. Every other vehicle I have ever owned had a replacement interval for the fuel filter.

Mike

I checked with Toyota, they claim the fuel filter will last the life of the vehicle, maybe in Japan? , but not in the USA, we put too many miles on our cars here.

Add your comment to this topic!