Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical problem from HELL!!!!

gunner1202
02-15-2005, 05:01 PM
About three weeks ago my 1993 Grand AM SE developed a little problem, the engine stalls. It will stall and idle like a champ but as soon as to step on the brake for a few seconds it will die. Oh and the ABS amber light comes on and sometimes it will flash (especially after pressing the brake for a second.

The brake isn't the only function that will cause the car to get sick. Turning on the headlights will do it and turning on the turn signals will do it. Pressing the DEFROST BUTTON WILL DO IT! If I remove the tail light fuse it will not do it but, no brake lights.

A friend of a friend suggested trying the alternator. He recommended starting the car until it warmed up for about 5-10 minutes and disconnecting the positive battery terminal and seeing if the engine would die. I tried it and the engine worked fine.

So now I'm back to the ABS system. I disconnected all of the connectors from the hydralic modulator/motor pack to see if this was the problem. It wasn't either. I'm trying to find the EBCM. I'm told that it is under the passenger seat but, there is nothing there.

There is another thing, probably related to above problem: something is causing my fuel gauge to act mad. If I put the key to on (not start), I notice that the fuel gauge will jump from 3/4 to FULL just by doing the same things (foot on brake, defrost button, etc.) Today the car was running and I observed it jumping back and forth each time that the "seat belt" warning light came on.

The engine runs well that I'm not ready to give this car up yet. If I could get it to do something besides idle I would be very pleased.

Ridenour
02-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Wow sounds bad. If it is an electrical drain issue, it's understandable that your defrost would do it, because actually, strange though it may seem, the defroster sucks the most electricity out of just about anything in the car.

It could be the battery. Some of the symptoms merely sound like a battery. Take it to autozone and have em test it - or have someone else bring you a different battery.

Are you throwing any codes? If so, have them read @ autozone also. (it's free)

Hoags
02-15-2005, 09:16 PM
I agree with it being a battery issue. When I worked at a local dealership as a kid if we had a car with a dead battery we would jump start it and if you were lucky when you depressed the brake the car would stay running, if you weren't lucky as soon as you stepped on the brake it would die. I would start at the battery, try another one take the time to switch with one you know is good if the car operates as it should then you know it's the battery if not then you have to get down and dirty with the electrical system. Good luck

gunner1202
02-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice. I tried another battery, but got the same results. I'm screwed.

Ridenour
02-19-2005, 09:35 AM
^ ^ Hmmm... shit well that sucks. LoL if I were you, I would go try searching for or posting about it on http://www.grandamgt.com/ - it's a great grandam forum and I can almost guarantee you someone on there will know what to do.

swalt
02-21-2005, 04:53 PM
I would pull the alternator and have it tested. You have nothing to lose and have already verified the battery is good, so you start eliminating the obvious.

Add your comment to this topic!