Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door Handle Assembly

CSR44
02-15-2005, 01:05 PM
I just picked up my new door handle assembly to replace the interior handle on the driver's side of my 96 Sierra and was wondering how to remove the old one? Do I have to take the door panel off first? I tried gentle prying with small flat blade, but this thing does not feel like it wants to come out this way?

Thanks.

CSR44
02-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Here is what it takes to replace the handle ass'y:

1) Remove triangle plastic piece by mirror gently pry off, you will see white plastic "dart" that holds piece on.
2) Remove (2) Phillips screws in arm rest cup.
3) Gently pry up control panel for power windows etc., there are metal clips that pop out of slots.
4) insert small screw driver behind plastic trim piece that surronds handle ass'y, you will see four tabs I believe holding it on.
5) carefully start pry up on door panel with something flat, I used gasket scraper, work your way around, you will see the darts once you get a corner out, if it is cold, use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the plastic so you don't snap anything.
6) you will see handle ass'y has a pop-rivet in lower left corner, drill it out with 3/16 drill bit carefully swirl drill around and head will pop off, make sure the hole is clear.
7) slide handle ass'y forward until tabs line up with open slots and pull out.
8) latch rod and lock rods can be remove from ass'y.
9) install new handle ass'y, work your way back to where you started.

joey71
02-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Here is what it takes to replace the handle ass'y:

1) Remove triangle plastic piece by mirror gently pry off, you will see white plastic "dart" that holds piece on.
2) Remove (2) Phillips screws in arm rest cup.
3) Gently pry up control panel for power windows etc., there are metal clips that pop out of slots.
4) insert small screw driver behind plastic trim piece that surronds handle ass'y, you will see four tabs I believe holding it on.
5) carefully start pry up on door panel with something flat, I used gasket scraper, work your way around, you will see the darts once you get a corner out, if it is cold, use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the plastic so you don't snap anything.
6) you will see handle ass'y has a pop-rivet in lower left corner, drill it out with 3/16 drill bit carefully swirl drill around and head will pop off, make sure the hole is clear.
7) slide handle ass'y forward until tabs line up with open slots and pull out.
8) latch rod and lock rods can be remove from ass'y.
9) install new handle ass'y, work your way back to where you started.
csr that is some pretty handy stuff to know there-- I dont know how many plasic darts I have broken on my vehicles- ussually end up screwing them back on. :)

Add your comment to this topic!