Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what is a pvc valve for?if you dont need it

88zccivic
02-14-2005, 06:03 PM
if you dont need the pvc valve in this setup why do you when it is stock?
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=345398

sivic02
02-14-2005, 07:31 PM
he should hook it up somewhere, a pvc valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) is there to catch all the blown by gasses and condensation in your oil, it keeps it from getting sucked into your engine and wearing it out, it basically keeps your oil from getting sludge in it. Its good to make sure yours is in good condition and isnt clogged up with crap. Thats why a lot of people (especially turbo guys) put oil catch cans in their car, it keeps the crap from going back into your engine and trying to get the engine to burn it off.
Your engine isnt going to die suddenly because you dont have a pvc valve on it but it will a lot sooner than it would if you had one on it.

Polygon
02-14-2005, 10:33 PM
BTW, it is a PCV valve. PVC is a plastic type of pipe. :icon16:

sivic02
02-14-2005, 11:00 PM
lol i guess im just used to thinking of pvc pipe instead of pcv

superbluecivicsi
02-15-2005, 02:25 AM
reread the link you posted. it explains it plus more.

TypeGsR
02-18-2005, 10:39 AM
lol its alright i was a plumber to i say PVC all the time cause thats all i used to use...but u need that pcv valve its important before they had pcv it would just drip onto the road

whtteg
02-18-2005, 05:11 PM
...but u need that pcv valve its important before they had pcv it would just drip onto the road

WTH are you talking about? What was dripping? Even the older cars without PCV valves had breathers on the valve covers. Please don't post a reply unless you know what you are talking about.

TypeGsR
02-19-2005, 02:33 PM
yo read up on ur facts before talking...i dont give a shit if ur a fucking moderator ur a FUCKING IDIOT...the older cars did NOT have a PCV system it was a tube that would run alond side of the road and the exessive oil would drip on the road...SHUT THE FUCK UP NOOB

TypeGsR
02-19-2005, 02:34 PM
im talking about early 60s u fucking HOMO....fucking faggot

sivic02
02-19-2005, 03:13 PM
im talking about early 60s u fucking HOMO....fucking faggot

simma down now...

superbluecivicsi
02-19-2005, 04:54 PM
yo read up on ur facts before talking...i dont give a shit if ur a fucking moderator ur a FUCKING IDIOT...the older cars did NOT have a PCV system it was a tube that would run alond side of the road and the exessive oil would drip on the road...SHUT THE FUCK UP NOOB

the design of any gasoline powered combustion engine will require an inlet and outlet for the positive pressure to be released. yes, even the 1960 3/4 ton Ford F250 4wd (8 cylinders 292 4.8L) pick up truck has a PCV valve. it is mounted on top of the engine in the driverside valve cover. got my hands a little dirty to locate it, but, its a boring saturday at the shop.

if you need me to verify whether or not older vehicles had PCV valves, there is a 1953 corvette down the block. i can give it a look (it's really just a waste of time to even look, because, i am 150% i will find the pcv valve).

Just some facts for people getting involved in this thread ;)

TypeGsR
02-19-2005, 05:00 PM
i never said all cars back then didnt have it most of them didnt have it i was working on a 1956 imperial and it didnt have one...so read posts before u start assuming shit...i no for a fact that imperial didnt have a PCV valve...so stfu

Privatebigandrew
02-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Older cars did not have PCV systems. TypGSR is right. Although some older cars might have them. The original design before the invention of a positive crankcase ventilation system was to run a tube from the valve cover, or any other area that crankcase vapors were highly present down the side of the block and underneath the car. The idea was that the air passing by the tube under the car would create a sort of vacuum and help pull the vapors or if you have oil problems, oil out of the tube. This system worked great, but it was eliminated due to emission concerns. I graduated from UTI and have this description in my textbooks to back it up. So yes TYPGSR is right, but calm down a little man :)

superbluecivicsi
02-19-2005, 05:21 PM
ive never worked on a 56 chrysler imperial, but, i according to our database of vehicles, the 56 chrysler imperial 354 5.8 (4bl and 2bl) both have a pcv system ;)

also according to our parts merchants, two companys still produce the PCV valve and breather filter for the 56 imperial (2bl and 4bl).............Deutsch and Motormite. If you couldnt find it, maybe it fell off? i can order you one if you like ;)

whtteg
02-19-2005, 05:31 PM

:wave:

superbluecivicsi
02-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Older cars did not have PCV systems. TypGSR is right. Although some older cars might have them. The original design before the invention of a positive crankcase ventilation system was to run a tube from the valve cover, or any other area that crankcase vapors were highly present down the side of the block and underneath the car. The idea was that the air passing by the tube under the car would create a sort of vacuum and help pull the vapors or if you have oil problems, oil out of the tube. This system worked great, but it was eliminated due to emission concerns. I graduated from UTI and have this description in my textbooks to back it up. So yes TYPGSR is right, but calm down a little man

That is still a POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEM ;) because you are still ventilating positive pressure out the crankcase. :) Maybe your books just termed it differently? Your book does not specify exactly what vehicle or engine models employed that ventilation design?

book title? edition? publisher? publication date? author(s)? i am just curious :) .

yo read up on ur facts before talking...i dont give a shit if ur a fucking moderator ur a FUCKING IDIOT...the older cars did NOT have a PCV system it was a tube that would run alond side of the road and the exessive oil would drip on the road...SHUT THE FUCK UP NOOB im talking about early 60s u fucking HOMO....fucking faggot

i never said all cars back then didnt have it most of them didnt have it i was working on a 1956 imperial and it didnt have one...so read posts before u start assuming shit...i no for a fact that imperial didnt have a PCV valve...so stfu

He said early vehicles in the 60's did not have a PCV valve. He also went as far to say that he knew for a fact that the 1956 imperial that he worked on had no PCV valve or system. :rofl:

Come on..................he was just going to far. :grinno:

Skyline316
02-19-2005, 05:59 PM
TypeGsR is right. Early cars did not have a PCV valve and the 56 Imperial if i stand correctly reading as we speak on AllData dose not infact have a PCV valve. So therefore u will not be able to order one. TypeGsR is right.

sivic02
02-19-2005, 07:30 PM
since no one can agree completely i say we organize a battle to the death, winner is right.

Privatebigandrew
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Bluecivic.....I know it is still a PCV system, but not as we know it today. They did not incorporate PCV valves which is what typegsr was arguing and i was backing up. The original argument was over PCV valves, though it was never specificly said.

Privatebigandrew
02-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh and good bann btw. There was no need for him to flip out like that.....i hate to see min in his road raged moments.

Privatebigandrew
02-19-2005, 07:43 PM
damn, i should have put this all in one post....Book Title: Auto Diagnosis, Service, and Repair; Edition: 2003 Edition; Publisher: The Goodheart-Willcox Company, inc; Publication date: 2003 (no month); Authors: Martin W. Stockel, Martin T. Stockel, and Chris Johanson. Oh and if you want, Library of Congress Card Catalog Number: 2001056870 and International Standard Book Number 1-56637-910-5. I wasn't BSing if that was what you were implying. :)

Skyline316
02-20-2005, 05:28 AM
anybody who has alldata go look TypeGsR stands correctly...there was no PCV valve it was a piece of pipe that went from the Valve cover and just went to the road...so therefore he wins

whtteg
02-20-2005, 07:34 PM
anybody who has alldata go look TypeGsR stands correctly...there was no PCV valve it was a piece of pipe that went from the Valve cover and just went to the road...so therefore he wins

If he could have carried on the debate in a half way adult mannor then he would have won.
I will stand corrected on the fact that those cars might have had something like what he was describing, but do those cars have a breather on the valve cover as well?

Privatebigandrew
02-20-2005, 08:41 PM
no, there is no need for a breather due to the tube running under the car.

superbluecivicsi
02-20-2005, 09:24 PM

Actually i have to admit, TypeGsR was right, but, darn, he got banned in the process :( SOME older vehicles did not have a standarized PCV system that incorporated a PCV valve. In some older models they actually came optional. As for Chrysler, they actually didnt standarized it until 1957 with the Windsor and Saratoga. even until then, I dont think Chrysler even standarized the newer 57 imperial with a PCV valve.

no, there is no need for a breather due to the tube running under the car.

so andrew, since you have the book, there must be something to filter or create a barrier between the crankcase and atmosphere?

Auto Diagnosis, Service, and Repair; Edition: 2003 Edition; Publisher: The Goodheart-Willcox Company, inc; Publication date: 2003 (no month); Authors: Martin W. Stockel, Martin T. Stockel, and Chris Johanson.

much props to UTI or the teacher who choose the book. you know, i actually have one of his older books back in 1985, "Auto Mechanics Fundamentals," not a book i would recommend to you fuel injected junkies.

Privatebigandrew
02-21-2005, 01:29 AM
I'll read u on it again and see what i can find....Tomorrow. To late tonight...sleppy very sleppy.....

Skyline316
02-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Actually i have to admit, TypeGsR was right, but, darn, he got banned in the process SOME older vehicles did not have a standarized PCV system that incorporated a PCV valve. In some older models they actually came optional. As for Chrysler, they actually didnt standarized it until 1957 with the Windsor and Saratoga. even until then, I dont think Chrysler even standarized the newer 57 imperial with a PCV valve.

He was right its unfair he got banned for something stupid ban him for a week.Then u should unban him. Maybe he had a bad day?

Skyline316
02-21-2005, 10:36 AM
and btw i am TypeGsR...I dont go down without a fight...I stand for what i believe is correct...And i stand correctly...Thank u

88zccivic
02-21-2005, 01:58 PM
ok so.........is it ok to not use it ?

sivic02
02-21-2005, 02:39 PM
ok so.........is it ok to not use it ?

And I have now completely lost faith in humanity...

Skyline316
02-21-2005, 03:12 PM
hahahaha i have to

superbluecivicsi
02-21-2005, 03:22 PM
and btw i am TypeGsR...I dont go down without a fight...I stand for what i believe is correct...And i stand correctly...Thank u

they always come back ;) one of the problems with AF is that they allow members to use free email accounts.

And I have now completely lost faith in humanity

werent you the one with the leaking turbo? didnt you check the shaft play and seals yet? whats going on with it? you dont have to use a catch can. but, depending on how much oil your losing, you should. if your losing alot, then there are more problems than just trying to relieve positive pressure.

freakray
02-21-2005, 04:03 PM

And I stand for what I believe is correct.

Which is, I believe you were correctly banned and that you are now banned again.

sivic02
02-21-2005, 07:15 PM
was who the one with the leaking turbo?

Privatebigandrew
02-21-2005, 07:35 PM
ok i read up and this is it.....to end it all :) Quote "On older engines, a vent pipe called a road draft tube was used to vent the crankcase. The road draft tube ran down below the engine. When the vehicle was in motion, a partial vacuum was formed at the end of the pipe, which drew air through a breather cap. The cap was filled with an oil soaked metal wool to prevent the entrance of dust and dirt. The road draft tube contained a baffle, which prevented oil vapor to be drawn through. Unfortunatley, the road draft ventilation system allowed air pollutants to enter the atmosphere and did not do a through job of removing blowby. All modern engines use a Positive Crankcase Ventilation, or PCV system." End quote. (Auto Fundamentals, 2000, Stockel, Stockel, and Johanson) So the old system was not a PCV system...but a road draft ventilation system. And there was a filter element to keep aoutside particles out.

superbluecivicsi
02-22-2005, 06:28 PM
was who the one with the leaking turbo?

88zccivic

Add your comment to this topic!