Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Integra Rotor replacement.

gconfo
02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Hello all,

I need to replace the front rotors and pads on my Integra. My question is this: Does this require any special tools/aptitude? I'm basically proficient at automotive stuff, but I've never done this. I've read on other posts that people suggest the Haynes manual for this.

Can I do this with a basic toolset and no impact driver? It'd be alot cheaper, but since these are brakes, I don't want to screw up and kill myself and my family. Also, do I need to bleed the brakes, and how is that done?

All help is appreciated!

sameintheend01
02-14-2005, 09:30 PM
make sure to use a #3 screwdriver with the screws on the rotor or you will strip them. unless you are super strong, then you probably won't be able to unscrew those bolts anyway. I put a wrench around mine screwdriver and opened them. don't need to bleed the brakes, but make sure you uncap the brake fluid resevoir before u push the pistons back in.

gconfo
02-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reply!

whtteg
02-16-2005, 09:21 PM
You can also go to the local parts store and buy a impact driver. It is a little tool that you put a screwdriver bit into the end and then you hit it with a hammer and it breaks loose hard to turn screws.
It will save you a lot of headache IMHO.

gconfo
02-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. 2 more questions:

1) Are the rotors threaded normally, or left handed.

2) Do I need to torque anything?

Thanks!

Doubletap
02-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Everything is threaded normally and unless you are a real stickler you should not need to torque anything, just make sure it is all good and tight and on the rotors do them like you would a wheel, alternate the screws until they are real tight so you don't overtighten one side or anything.

DoubleTap

PS the Haynes manal is very helpful for these sorts of job abs more complex ones.

Goggles Piasano
08-10-2005, 01:23 AM
I recently machined my rotors and a helpful tip was to make sure not to let the caliper dangle from the break line. It would be unfortunate if the caliper dislodged from the hose and air was introduced to the line. I used some reliable string and tied it to a secure spot in the wheel well to relieve the line of the calipers weight.

The cost to machine (resurface) the rotors at a local shop was about $10/rotor.

pepsihatman
08-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Very old thread, but it's funny because I was just reading it. I just replaced the front rotors on my car, 1998 GSR. I used my father's impact screwdriver and it made life so much easier. Also, it cost me 38 dollars to get new ones up front from the local Advance auto parts store.

whtteg
08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Wow that is old lol.

Add your comment to this topic!