Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

EGR Cleaning -> EGR insuff. flow engine code?

mlingk
02-14-2005, 09:52 AM
I pulled my EGR valve and cleaned it out w/ carb cleaner. The piston looked like it was stuck prior to cleaning. Now, my check engine light is on with insufficient EGR flow. I also put in some FP the same day as cleaning the EGR valve. Do I need to just reclean it, or could I have fried it some how?

-Mike

travelman
02-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Did you plug the connector back in? Did you verify that the pintle moved after the cleaning (e.g. you could have dislodged a big piece of gunk that wedged in a new place)? Did you clean the return tubing since that seems to be a major problem source? Did you use a new gasket or check for a leak with the EGR back on? Did you try clearing the CEL? Could be that for some reason the cleaning/initial restart set the light but now you are only seeing the old light. Kind of a longshot but an easy check. What the heck is FP?

mlingk
02-14-2005, 12:32 PM
The pintle seemed stuck before cleaning. After, it moved pretty freely. I sprayed some cleaner into both holes on engine, not sure if that freed & pushed anything down further or not. It didn't look like there was a gasket at all, I assumed I didn't need one. That may be my problem. Also, the light didn't come on until the tranmission shop took it for a test drive prior to doing the oil change. I'm assuming they revved it hard or something on their 3 minute drive. I told them I'll handle the EGR problem and bring it back. After driving another 20+ miles, it didn't come on until I gunned it a little just to test.. then it came on again. There is 100K on the engine, and I've never cleaned the valve, I'm new on this board :)
FP is fuel power/fuel cleaning additive, I did that same day as EGR cleaning. I may be trying to do too much maint work at once..

-Mike

mlingk
02-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Just stopped by the dealer to pickup the gasket. He said I should also remove the throttle body and use 'bailing' wire to brush the return feed tube clean then spray carb cleaner from the EGR side until it runs clear.
-Mike

rodeo02
02-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Mike, you might be crudded up solid right where the exhaust exits the EGR system just behind the throttle plate. Pull the black plastic air intake away from the TB, pop the throttle plate open with your finger & shine a flashlight in there. You will see a (approx) 3/8" tube towards the bottom of the chamber. This is the EGR outlet. This commonly gets plugged with carbon. You can clean it with a long thin screwdriver, bottle or test tube brush, or something similar. Intake cleaner sprayed from the EGR base *usually* clears this, but stubborn ones take some more elbow grease. If all else fails, maybe your EGR valve is the culpret & needs to be replaced. They are pricey since they are 'feedback' EGR valves (valve sends flow & position signals to ECM).
G/luck
Joel

amigo-2k
02-14-2005, 03:41 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1777258#post1777258

mlingk
02-16-2005, 07:31 AM
That was the problem, the end of the tube was blocked solid with semi-hard sludge. Couldn't really see thru the throttle plate, so I removed the four bolts and leaned the whole body out of the way. Cleaned it out good with carb cleaner and it's running great now.

Thanks, Mike

rodeo02
02-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Good to hear it worked out for you Mike! :cheers:
G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!