Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change: 2002 Taurus

sfontain
02-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Just bought a 2002 SES Vulcan (column shift) with 35K on it. I assume it's AX4S but if someone knows better, feel free to correct me.

I would like to have the transmission serviced. Unfortunately, I just moved to Ohio from Vermont about 6 months ago so I don't know any good mechanics. I can have AT service done for around $60 at a chain such as Goodyear, but I would like to have the torque converter drained as well, which is something I don't think they do. A few questions:

About how much for labor, fluid, and parts will a dealer charge to do the complete ATF replacement?

What are your thoughts on draining the torque converter rather than just what's in the pan?

If anybody knows about it, could you please describe the process used to perform this complete ATF replacement?

Thank you!

Willyum
02-14-2005, 02:01 PM
A way to start is to do a drain and replace. If you have a shop like Pep Boys do it they will only suck the fluid out as best they can thru the filler tube. Shops will charge you extra to replace with the required Mercon V. You can do a good job yourself if you can get the car up a few inches and have a drain pan. The fluid level in the transmission is above the pan seam so if you loosen the bolts, fluid comes out all around. The OEM gasket is reusable. I did my '02 @ 30K miles and replaced fluid and filter. My old fluid looked clean. You will find a film of sludge in the pan bottom and a magnetic washer that you won't get cleaned unless you drop the pan for access. My local Ford dealer wanted over $200 to do their service. I bought Mercon V @ Wal Mart for $2.92 qt, took 7 1/2. Had to search around to find someone who had the filter, is easy to replace. Lower the vehicle before refilling, be cautious to feed the fluid in at a pace it will flow or it will overflow under the car causing a mess. (guess that you see I made a couple mistakes).

drdisque
02-15-2005, 04:25 PM
wherever you go, make sure they do not do a "power flush". This practice is incredibly bad for transmissions.

Add your comment to this topic!