Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ABS and traction control issues...

joe4speed
02-14-2005, 05:49 AM
I own a 1993 88 LSS. For as long as I've owned this car, the ABS has been non-functional. My parents owned it before me, they bought it brand new in 1992. A few years before I acquired it, they had some brake work done and the mechanic must have screwed something up, because that's when the ABS stopped working. The ABS light and Traction Control light come on after you start the car and start rolling.
My question is, what problems would cause the lights to trigger? I really know nothing about ABS systems, so any help is appreciated!

auto trainy
02-17-2005, 04:32 AM
Check and see if all the sensor connectors are plugged in tight,sometimes a differant size tire will throw the sequence off (timing of signals to the abs computer).good luck

joe4speed
02-17-2005, 07:22 AM
The tires are all the same size, but I'll check out the connections again. Last time I did look at the sensors, they were pretty dirty. Would that make any difference?

Hansnet
02-17-2005, 01:13 PM
if they are corroded..then yes.

Make sure you check EVERY SPEED SENSOR there are 4. Check connections to ABS control box in dash and the box inside the car.

joe4speed
02-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Thank you for the info! I will check the sensors this weekend!

Would you happen to know where the ABS units are located inside an Olds 88? I'm not sure where to look for them!

Add your comment to this topic!